Chapter 70

The morning sun peeked through the curtains, casting a warm glow over the room as Amelia stirred awake. The events of the previous day still lingered in her mind, but as she lay there, trying to shake off the remnants of her sleep, a soft knock on her door interrupted her thoughts.

"Come in," she called, sitting up in bed.

The door creaked open, and Wyatt, with her big, innocent eyes and a hopeful grin, poked her head in. Behind her, Ellie bounced on her toes, both of them brimming with energy.

"Amelia," Wyatt began, her voice filled with excitement. "Can you take us down to the beach today? We missed out on all the big girls' fun yesterday, and Ellie and I really want to go!"

Amelia hesitated for a moment, memories of Logan and his girlfriend surfacing, causing a pang of discomfort. She had planned on avoiding the beach altogether, not wanting to risk another encounter with Logan, especially after how humiliated she felt. But as she looked at Wyatt and Ellie, their eager faces and bright smiles tugged at her heart.

She knew how much it would mean to them. They were just little girls, wanting to spend time with her, and Amelia didn't want to disappoint them.

"Okay," Amelia finally agreed, a small smile creeping onto her face. "But only if we stay away from Logan and his... uh, cute girlfriend."

Wyatt clapped her hands in delight, and Ellie let out a squeal of joy, both of them rushing forward to hug Amelia tightly. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Wyatt chanted, her arms wrapped around Amelia's waist.

Ellie, her head barely reaching Amelia's hip, grinned up at her. "We're gonna have so much fun! Just us girls!"

Amelia couldn't help but laugh at their enthusiasm. "Alright, let's get ready then. We'll head down to the beach after breakfast."

As they made their way downstairs, the girls still buzzing with excitement, Amelia felt a little better. Maybe today could be different—no awkward run-ins, no hurt feelings, just a simple day at the beach with Wyatt and Ellie.

After breakfast, the trio set out for the beach. The sun was shining, the waves were gently lapping against the shore, and the beach was dotted with people enjoying the beautiful day. Amelia made sure to steer clear of the area where Logan usually hung out, leading the girls to a quieter spot where they could play without any distractions.

Wyatt and Ellie wasted no time kicking off their sandals and running toward the water, their laughter ringing out as they splashed each other. Amelia trailed behind, a soft smile on her face as she watched them play.

As the morning went on, they built sandcastles, collected seashells, and chased each other along the shoreline. Amelia kept her promise to herself, staying in the moment and focusing on the joy of being with Wyatt and Ellie. She didn't think about Logan or his girlfriend—at least, she tried not to.

At one point, as they were sitting on their towels, munching on snacks they'd brought along, Wyatt looked up at Amelia with those big, curious eyes. "Why don't you wanna hang out with Logan today, Amelia?"

Amelia paused, caught off guard by the question. She wasn't sure how much Wyatt understood about what had happened, but she didn't want to dampen the mood with too much detail.

"Well, Wyatt," Amelia began carefully, "sometimes, people aren't who we think they are. And when that happens, it's okay to take a step back and spend time with the people who really care about you."

Wyatt seemed to think about this for a moment, then nodded seriously, as if she understood perfectly. "I'm glad you're here with us, Amelia."

Ellie, who had been busy digging a hole in the sand, looked up and echoed, "Yeah! You're the best big sister ever!"

Amelia's heart swelled at their words, and she pulled them both into a warm hug. "And you two are the best little sisters ever."

As the day wore on, Amelia felt a sense of peace she hadn't expected. Maybe she wasn't ready to face Logan or deal with the messiness of teenage relationships, but she realized that she didn't need to. At least not today. Today was about Wyatt and Ellie, about simple joys and innocent fun.

As they packed up to head back to the house, Amelia glanced down the beach, where she could see a group of teens gathered around a volleyball net. Logan was there, his girlfriend by his side, but they were far away—both physically and emotionally.

And for the first time since meeting him, Amelia felt okay with that.

Back at the house, they were greeted with the delicious smell of lunch cooking. Taylor and Travis were in the kitchen, chatting as they worked together, and Taylor shot Amelia a questioning look as she walked in with the girls.

"How was the beach?" Taylor asked, her tone light, but with a hint of concern underneath.

Amelia smiled, glancing down at Wyatt and Ellie, who were both beaming. "It was great," she said simply. And for once, she didn't feel like she needed to explain anything more.

Taylor returned her smile, seeming relieved. "I'm glad."

As the girls washed up and prepared for lunch, Amelia felt a sense of contentment. It wasn't a perfect day, but it was good. And sometimes, that was enough.