Chapter 19

The day had been long and emotionally exhausting for everyone. After dinner, once Amelia had retreated to her room to rest, Taylor and Travis found themselves alone in the living room. The dim light from a nearby lamp cast soft shadows around the room, creating a quiet, intimate space perfect for the serious conversation they needed to have.

Travis was the first to break the silence, his voice low and thoughtful. "We need to talk about what happened earlier with Joe."

Taylor nodded, her expression serious. "I know. It's clear that Joe isn't going to back down easily, and I'm worried about what could happen if we don't take action soon."

Travis leaned back on the couch, rubbing his temples as he considered their options. "We've done everything we can to support Amelia, but at this point, I think we need to involve someone who can really help—someone who knows the law and can guide us through this. We need to protect her."

Taylor sighed, the weight of the situation pressing down on her. "I agree. But we need to be careful. Joe's not going to take this lightly, and the last thing we want is to make things worse for Amelia."

Travis nodded, understanding the delicate balance they needed to maintain. "That's why we need to do this right. I've been thinking we should take her to see a lawyer, someone who specializes in family law and can help us understand what options we have."

Taylor looked at Travis, her eyes filled with concern. "Do you think she's ready for that? I mean, today was a lot for her to handle. I don't want to overwhelm her."

Travis reached out, taking Taylor's hand in his. "I know, and we have to be sensitive to how she's feeling. But she's also strong, Tay. She's been through so much, and I think deep down she knows that this is something we need to do. It's about making sure she's safe, and that she has a choice in what happens next."

Taylor squeezed his hand, appreciating his calm and measured approach. "You're right. We need to do everything we can to protect her. And talking to a lawyer doesn't mean we're forcing anything; it just means we're getting information, so we can make the best decision for her."

Travis nodded, a plan beginning to form in his mind. "I think we should talk to a few lawyers first, find someone we trust who has experience with cases like this. We'll explain the situation and get some advice before we involve Amelia too much."

Taylor agreed, feeling a sense of relief that they were taking steps to address the situation. "Let's do it. I'll start looking into some options tomorrow. Maybe we can find someone who can see us in the next few days."

"That sounds like a plan," Travis said, his tone more resolute. "We'll take it one step at a time, and we'll make sure Amelia knows we're doing this to keep her safe."

Taylor rested her head on Travis's shoulder, feeling a sense of comfort in their shared resolve. "Thank you, Travis. I'm glad we're in this together. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Travis smiled, wrapping his arm around her. "We're a team, Tay. We'll get through this, for Amelia."

As they sat there in the quiet of the night, both Taylor and Travis felt a renewed sense of purpose. The road ahead was uncertain, but they knew they were making the right choice for Amelia. They would protect her, no matter what it took