Chapter 42

The next morning, Amelia woke up to the soft light of dawn filtering through the curtains. The house was quiet, save for the distant hum of morning activity. She felt the weight of last night still lingering in her chest but knew she needed to get up and face the day.

As she made her way downstairs, she hesitated briefly at the top of the stairs, not sure what to expect after the emotional evening. But when she reached the dining room, her eyes fell on Wyatt, who was sitting at the table, her small frame looking even smaller in the big chair. Wyatt was clearly waiting for her, a serious expression on her usually cheerful face.

When Wyatt noticed Amelia, she quickly got up from her seat, holding something in her hands. "Amelia," Wyatt said, her voice quiet and sincere, "I made you something."

Amelia's heart softened as Wyatt held out a piece of paper—a handmade card. The front was decorated with colorful crayon drawings of flowers, hearts, and a big, smiling sun. In the middle, in wobbly handwriting, were the words, "I'm Sorry."

Amelia's breath caught as she opened the card. Inside was a simple message: "I didn't mean to make you sad. I love you, Amelia. You're my friend."

Wyatt looked up at her with big, apologetic eyes. "I didn't know it would make you sad. I'm really sorry, Amelia."

Amelia felt a wave of emotions wash over her. How could she stay mad at Wyatt? She was just a little girl who didn't fully understand. Kneeling down to Wyatt's level, Amelia wrapped her arms around her in a gentle hug.

"It's okay, Wyatt," Amelia whispered, her voice thick with emotion. "I'm not mad at you. Thank you for the card. It's beautiful."

Wyatt hugged her back tightly, relief evident in the way she squeezed Amelia. "I'm glad you like it," Wyatt said, her voice brighter now that she knew Amelia wasn't upset with her anymore.

As they pulled away, Ellie entered the dining room, her own face a mix of shyness and hopefulness. "We didn't mean to hurt your feelings, Amelia," Ellie said softly. "We just wanted to know more about you."

Amelia smiled at Ellie, her heart swelling with affection for the little girls. "I know," she said, trying to reassure them. "It's just...sometimes it's hard for me to talk about my mom and dad. But I know you didn't mean to make me sad."

Kylie appeared in the doorway, watching the exchange with a gentle smile. "How about we all have breakfast together?" she suggested. "We can have some of Amelia's favorite pancakes, and maybe after, we can do something fun together."

Amelia nodded, feeling a bit lighter. "I'd like that," she said, still holding Wyatt's hand.

As they sat down to eat, the tension from the night before seemed to melt away, replaced by the warmth of a new day. Amelia knew she still had a lot to work through, but for now, she felt grateful for the small gestures of kindness from Wyatt and Ellie. It was a reminder that she wasn't alone, even when things felt overwhelming.