Chapter 56

Amelia sat on her bed, knees pulled tightly to her chest, as she stared out the window. The ocean view, which usually brought her comfort, now felt distant and unreachable. She had spent the entire morning tucked away in her room, trying to keep the mounting anxiety at bay. The sound of Blake and Ryan's car pulling into the driveway made her stomach twist with dread.

She knew she was being unfair to herself—hiding away like this—but the thought of facing James, Inez, and Betty after everything that had happened was just too overwhelming. It wasn't that she didn't like them; in fact, she'd always admired Blake and Ryan's kids for their boundless energy and joy. But seeing them again meant facing her past, a past that still felt raw and painful.

The muffled sound of voices downstairs reached her ears as the adults greeted each other, their laughter and chatter filling the house. Amelia tried to focus on anything else, but the noise only made her feel more isolated, like she was a world away from the happiness below.

Suddenly, the sound of small feet running up the stairs broke through her thoughts. Her heart skipped a beat as she realized the kids were coming closer. She had left her door ajar—an oversight she now regretted as she quickly wiped at her eyes, trying to look composed.

"Come on, come on! I want you to meet her!" Wyatt's excited voice echoed through the hallway, growing louder as the group approached. Amelia's chest tightened as she heard the footsteps stop just outside her door.

Wyatt, oblivious to Amelia's emotional state, burst into her room with a wide grin, his energy contagious. Behind him, James, Inez, and Betty peered curiously around the doorframe, their eyes lighting up at the sight of a new friend.

"Amelia, Amelia! These are my friends I was telling you about!" Wyatt announced proudly, gesturing to the three girls. "This is James, and that's Inez, and that's Betty! Aren't they cool?"

Amelia forced a small smile, her throat tightening as she nodded at the girls. "Hi," she managed to say, her voice barely above a whisper.

James, the oldest, stepped forward with a friendly smile. "Hi, Amelia. Wyatt's told us a lot about you."

Inez nodded eagerly, her eyes wide with curiosity. "Yeah, and Betty's been really excited to meet you!"

Betty, the youngest of the group, gave Amelia a shy wave before clinging to James's leg, peeking out from behind her sister.

Amelia tried to push past her anxiety, to be the version of herself she wished she could be, but it was like trying to swim against a strong current. "It's nice to meet you," she said, her voice trembling slightly.

But Wyatt, still full of excitement, didn't seem to notice her discomfort. "Amelia's super cool, just like you guys! We've been playing games and stuff all week."

James, always perceptive, seemed to notice the tension in Amelia's posture. She glanced back at Inez and Betty, sensing that something wasn't quite right. "Are you okay?" James asked gently, her young voice filled with genuine concern.

Amelia looked up at her, her defenses crumbling as the words caught in her throat. The sincerity in James's eyes was too much to bear, and before she could stop herself, the tears she had been holding back all day began to spill over.

The room went silent, the weight of Amelia's emotions hanging in the air. Wyatt, realizing too late that something was wrong, looked between Amelia and the other girls, his excitement replaced with confusion and concern.

"I'm sorry," Amelia whispered, wiping at her tears with the back of her hand. "I didn't mean to—"

But before she could finish, James stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Amelia in a gentle hug, surprising her. "It's okay," James said softly. "You don't have to apologize."

Inez, not wanting to be left out, joined in, hugging Amelia from the other side. Even Betty, who had been hesitant at first, toddled over and hugged Amelia's leg, her small arms wrapping around as far as they could reach.

Amelia sat there, surrounded by the warmth of these young girls who, despite their age, understood that she was hurting. She didn't know what to say, but in that moment, words didn't seem necessary. The kindness of their gestures was enough to soothe the ache in her chest, if only a little.

Wyatt, feeling a little unsure, stood by the door, her hands fidgeting. "I'm sorry, Amelia. I didn't mean to make you upset."

Amelia looked up at her, her tears slowing as she shook her head. "It's not your fault, Wyatt. I'm just... I've just been feeling a little off today."

Wyatt nodded solemnly, and then, with the impulsiveness of a child, she ran over and hugged Amelia too, making the others giggle as they all ended up in a big, comforting pile on her bed.

Amelia sat on the edge of her bed, her fingers twisting the hem of her shirt anxiously. The sounds of children's laughter echoed down the hallway, but she couldn't bring herself to join them. She'd been dreading this moment since Taylor mentioned Blake and Ryan were coming. The thought of facing James, Inez, and Betty after everything that had happened in LA made her stomach twist into knots.

A soft knock on the door pulled her from her thoughts. She looked up to see James standing in the doorway, her expression uncertain but determined.

"Can I come in?" James asked gently.

Amelia hesitated, then nodded. James walked over and sat down beside her on the bed, leaving a respectful distance between them.

"I wanted to talk to you," James started, her voice quiet. "About what happened last time we saw each other."

Amelia's heart pounded. She hadn't expected James to bring it up so directly. She stared at her hands, unsure of what to say.

"I remember you, Amelia," James continued, her voice filled with sincerity. "I remembered you the moment I saw you today. But... I pretended not to because I didn't want to make things awkward in front of Wyatt and Ellie. Inez doesn't even remember what happened, and I thought bringing it up would just make it worse for both of us."

Amelia looked up, meeting James's eyes. She saw the guilt there, the regret that had been weighing on her. It was strange—she hadn't expected James to feel this way.

"I just didn't know how to handle it back then," James admitted, her voice cracking slightly. "I was confused, and I didn't understand what you were going through. But that's no excuse. I'm really sorry for the way I treated you."

The sincerity in James's voice broke through Amelia's defenses. She could see that James genuinely felt bad, that she wanted to make things right.

Amelia took a deep breath, her voice trembling as she spoke. "I was going through a lot then. I still am, I guess. But... I appreciate you saying this, James. I was scared you'd hate me or think I was weird."

James shook her head vigorously. "No, never. I don't hate you, Amelia. I think you're really strong. I mean, everything you've been through... I can't even imagine. I just want us to start over, if that's okay with you."

Amelia felt a wave of relief wash over her. She hadn't realized how much she'd needed to hear those words. Slowly, a small smile spread across her face.

"Yeah," she said softly. "I'd like that."

James smiled back, the tension between them dissolving in an instant. She scooted a little closer, her tone lighter now. "So, do you want to go downstairs with me? I think the others are dying to know what we're talking about."

Amelia laughed, the sound surprising her. It felt good to laugh, to let go of some of the anxiety that had been weighing her down.

"Okay," she agreed, standing up with James. "But let's not tell them everything. Let's keep them guessing."

James grinned mischievously. "Deal."

As they walked out of the room together, side by side, Amelia felt a sense of hope she hadn't felt in a long time. Maybe things were going to be okay after all.