Chapter 61

The evening at the beach house was winding down. After a day filled with laughter, beach games, and catching up with friends, the adults gathered around the kitchen island to unwind. Taylor, Blake, Kylie, and Amelia engaged in light-hearted conversation while preparing for a relaxing night. The kids had gone to bed, leaving the adults to enjoy some peace and quiet.

Amelia, her face flushed from the day's activities, excused herself, saying she was heading to bed. As she left the kitchen, she set her phone down on the island, its screen facing up. Taylor, momentarily distracted from the conversation, noticed the phone buzz. She glanced at the screen and saw a text message from a contact named "Logan."

Intrigued, Taylor picked up the phone. The message read, "Tonight was fun. We should do it again before you and your sister go back home to the city." Taylor's eyes widened as she read the message aloud to Blake and Kylie.

"Who's Logan?" Taylor asked, her tone tinged with concern.

Blake and Kylie exchanged glances. Kylie's expression mirrored Taylor's worry, while Blake's face was a mixture of curiosity and concern.

Amelia, returning to the kitchen to retrieve her phone, stopped short when she saw Taylor holding it. Her heart raced, and she felt a knot tighten in her stomach. She reached for the phone, but Taylor pulled it back, her eyes fixed on Amelia.

"Who's Logan?" Taylor repeated, her voice firm.

"He's just a boy I met on the beach," Amelia said, trying to sound casual as she reached for her phone. "He's sixteen."

Taylor's face tightened. "Sixteen? Amelia, you're fourteen. That's a big age difference."

"It's not that big," Amelia shot back defensively. "It's only two years. And anyway, I had a great time with him and the others."

Taylor's concern turned into frustration. "Amelia, you don't know what you're getting yourself into. He's older, and you're still a kid. I don't want you seeing him again."

"That's not fair!" Amelia exclaimed, her cheeks flushed with anger. "You don't know him, and you're just overreacting. I've been having a good time, and now you're ruining it."

Taylor's eyes flashed with frustration. "It's not about overreacting. I care about your safety. You're still figuring things out, and I don't want you getting involved with someone who's older, especially when we're on vacation and you're away from home."

Amelia's eyes filled with tears. "I can't believe you're doing this. I'm old enough to make my own decisions. Why can't you trust me?"

Taylor's expression softened for a moment, but she quickly regained her composure. "This isn't about trust. It's about making sure you're safe and not getting hurt. I don't want you to see Logan again. End of discussion."

Amelia's heart ached with a mix of anger and sadness. She turned away from Taylor, feeling a surge of resentment. "Fine. I won't see him again. But don't expect me to just get over this easily."

Amelia stormed out of the kitchen, her emotions swirling as she headed to her room. Taylor watched her go, her own feelings of guilt and frustration battling with her protective instincts. The room fell silent as Blake and Kylie exchanged concerned glances.

As the night wore on, Amelia lay in bed, staring at the ceiling. The argument replayed in her mind, each word echoing with hurt. She felt abandoned by the very people who were supposed to understand her. The weight of the argument hung heavy in the air, and Amelia's resentment toward Taylor grew, leaving her feeling more alone than ever.