Chapter 21

Dinner that night was a quiet affair, the usual laughter and chatter replaced with a heavy tension. Amelia sensed that something was off, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. She picked at her food, her thoughts drifting between the events of the past few days and the uneasy feeling that something important was about to be discussed.

Taylor and Travis exchanged glances across the table, silently agreeing that it was time to tell Amelia about their meeting with the lawyer. They wanted to approach the conversation delicately, knowing how much stress Amelia was already under.

"Amelia," Taylor began gently, setting her fork down and giving her full attention to the young girl, "we need to talk to you about something important. Travis and I went to see a lawyer today."

Amelia's head snapped up, her eyes widening in surprise. "A lawyer? Why?"

Travis leaned forward, his tone calm and reassuring. "We want to make sure you're safe, Amelia. After everything that happened with your dad...we just want to be prepared. The lawyer we spoke to, Emily Cartwright, thinks we should take some steps to protect you."

Amelia's face went pale, and she immediately started shaking her head. "I don't want to go to court, or make statements, or anything like that. I just want this to go away."

Taylor reached out and gently placed her hand on Amelia's, trying to soothe her. "I know this is overwhelming, Meals, but we're not asking you to do anything you're not ready for. We just want you to know that there are options, and we're here to support you through whatever happens."

"But why do I have to make a statement?" Amelia asked, her voice trembling. "I don't want to talk about what happened. I just want to forget it."

Travis sighed, understanding her reluctance but knowing how crucial her voice would be in this situation. "I get it, Amelia. This is really hard, and it's not fair that you have to deal with any of this. But the truth is, the court needs to hear from you because your safety is the most important thing here. Your statement could help make sure you don't have to go back to your dad if you're not ready."

Amelia looked down at her plate, tears welling up in her eyes. "But what if they don't believe me? What if Dad gets angry?"

Taylor's heart broke seeing the fear in Amelia's eyes. She scooted her chair closer and wrapped an arm around her. "Sweetheart, we believe you, and Emily believes you too. The court's job is to protect you, and they will listen to you. And as for your dad, you don't have to face him alone. Travis and I will be right there with you, every step of the way."

Amelia sniffled, wiping away a tear. "I'm scared."

Travis reached across the table and took her other hand. "It's okay to be scared. But you're not alone in this. We'll help you through it. We just need you to be honest about what happened. That's how we make sure you stay safe."

For a few moments, the room was silent, filled only with the quiet sounds of Amelia's sniffles. She knew deep down that Taylor and Travis were right, but the thought of reliving the trauma in front of strangers terrified her.

"I'll think about it," she finally whispered, her voice barely audible.

Taylor kissed the top of her head. "That's all we can ask, Meals. We just want you to be safe and happy. And we'll do whatever it takes to make sure that happens."

They spent the rest of the evening reassuring Amelia, explaining more about what the process might look like and answering her questions as best they could. They didn't push her to make any decisions that night, knowing that she needed time to process everything.

As they tucked Amelia into bed later that night, Taylor and Travis exchanged a worried look. They knew that convincing her to speak up would be difficult, but they also knew that it was the only way to truly protect her from Joe. They just hoped that, in time, Amelia would find the strength to tell her story.

As they turned out the lights and quietly left her room, Taylor whispered to Travis, "We'll get through this. We just have to be patient and let her take it one step at a time."

Travis nodded, pulling Taylor into a comforting hug. "One step at a time," he echoed, hoping that together, they could help Amelia find her voice.