Chapter 50

The afternoon sun cast a warm glow over Melbourne's sprawling stadium as Taylor and Amelia arrived for rehearsal. The massive venue was abuzz with activity—stagehands moving equipment, soundchecks echoing through the empty seats, and crew members darting about, fine-tuning every detail for the big show tomorrow night.

Amelia clutched her backpack straps tightly as she walked beside Taylor, her eyes wide as she took in the sheer scale of the operation. Despite having attended the first show of the Eras Tour months ago, this was a completely different experience. Back then, her father had kept her at a distance from Taylor's professional world, imposing strict rules that limited her interactions and exposure. Now, stepping backstage into Taylor's world felt both exhilarating and terrifying.

Sensing Amelia's nerves, Taylor reached over and gave her a reassuring squeeze on the shoulder. "How are you holding up, kiddo?" she asked, her voice soft amid the clamor of the bustling crew.

Amelia offered a tentative smile, her eyes flickering around the cavernous space. "It's a lot to take in," she admitted. "I didn't realize how much goes into making these shows happen."

Taylor chuckled warmly. "It's definitely a team effort. I couldn't do any of this without all these amazing people." She paused, studying Amelia's face carefully. "I thought it might be a good idea for you to meet everyone today before things get too crazy tomorrow. What do you think?"

Amelia hesitated, biting her lip. The thought of meeting so many new people at once was daunting, but she trusted Taylor. Taking a deep breath, she nodded. "Yeah, I think that would be good."

"That's my brave girl," Taylor said with a bright smile. "I promise, everyone is super friendly. They'll love you."

They continued walking through the maze of corridors until they reached the main stage area. The stage itself was a masterpiece of design—towering screens, intricate lighting rigs, and elaborate sets all coming together to create the magical world Taylor brought to life during her performances.

As they approached, a group of people noticed them and began to make their way over. Leading the pack was Tree Paine, Taylor's longtime publicist, her red hair pulled back into a sleek ponytail and a clipboard tucked under her arm.

"Hey, Taylor!" Tree called out, her face lighting up as she approached. Her eyes shifted to Amelia, and her smile widened. "And this must be Amelia. I've heard so much about you."

Taylor placed a gentle hand on Amelia's back, encouraging her forward. "Tree, meet Amelia. Amelia, this is Tree, the woman who keeps my life from falling apart," she said with a playful wink.

Amelia felt a blush creep up her cheeks as she extended her hand. "Hi, it's nice to meet you."

Tree shook her hand warmly. "The pleasure is all mine. Welcome to the madness," she said with a laugh. "We're thrilled to have you here with us."

One by one, more members of Taylor's team came over to introduce themselves—Scott, her tour manager; Andrea, the head of wardrobe; and Paul, her head of security, among others. Each greeted Amelia with genuine warmth and enthusiasm, making her feel increasingly at ease.

As the introductions continued, a bubbly woman with short blonde hair bounded over, practically radiating energy. "Taylor! Is this the famous Amelia I've been hearing about?" she exclaimed.

Taylor laughed, nodding. "Amelia, this is Emma, my lead choreographer and the one responsible for making sure I don't trip over my own feet on stage."

Emma grinned widely, her eyes sparkling. "Oh please, you're a natural," she teased before turning her attention back to Amelia. "It's so great to meet you! Do you dance at all?"

Amelia shook her head shyly. "Not really, but I love watching."

"Well, maybe we can get you in on a rehearsal sometime," Emma suggested with a wink. "We always have room for one more."

Amelia's eyes widened at the suggestion, a mix of surprise and intrigue crossing her features. Before she could respond, Taylor interjected.

"Careful, Emma. She might just take you up on that," she said, her eyes twinkling with amusement.

As the afternoon wore on, Amelia found herself gradually relaxing into the environment. She watched in awe as Taylor ran through soundchecks and stage cues, her professionalism and passion evident in every move. Between sets, Taylor would return to Amelia's side, explaining different aspects of the production and introducing her to more members of the crew.

At one point, they took a break in the catering area, where a spread of delicious foods awaited. Amelia piled her plate with fresh fruits and pastries, her appetite finally catching up with her now that her nerves had settled somewhat.

Sitting together at a small table, Taylor leaned in closer. "How are you feeling now?" she asked, her eyes full of concern and affection.

Amelia took a bite of a strawberry, considering the question. "Better," she admitted. "Everyone has been so nice. I was so nervous at first, but they all made me feel really welcome."

"I'm so glad to hear that," Taylor replied, reaching over to squeeze Amelia's hand. "This crew is like family to me, and I want them to be family for you too."

Amelia's heart warmed at the sentiment. "Thank you for bringing me here. I think... I think I needed this."

"Anytime," Taylor said softly. "I know things have been tough lately, but remember, you're not alone. We're all here for you."

As they finished their meal, Taylor was called back for another run-through. She looked at Amelia apologetically. "I have to get back, but Paul can stay with you if you'd like, or you can come watch from the side stage."

Amelia didn't hesitate. "I'd like to watch, if that's okay."

"Of course it's okay," Taylor replied, her smile brightening. "Come on, let's get you the best seat in the house."

They made their way back to the stage, where Amelia found a comfortable spot just off to the side. From there, she had a perfect view of the entire performance space. As Taylor took her place on stage and the music began to swell, Amelia felt a surge of pride and admiration. Watching Taylor in her element was inspiring, and for the first time in a while, Amelia felt a genuine sense of excitement about what the future might hold.

The rest of the rehearsal flew by, with Amelia engrossed in the spectacle unfolding before her. She cheered and clapped along with the small audience of crew members, her earlier anxieties all but forgotten.

By the time the day came to an end, Amelia was exhausted but happy. As they walked back to the car, Taylor draped an arm around her shoulders.

"So, how was your first full day backstage?" Taylor asked, her eyes gleaming with curiosity.

Amelia leaned into her embrace, a content smile spreading across her face. "It was amazing. I can't wait to see the actual show tomorrow."

Taylor grinned, pressing a kiss to the top of Amelia's head. "I'm so glad. And who knows, maybe we'll make a performer out of you yet."

Amelia laughed, the sound light and carefree. For the first time in a long while, she felt truly hopeful and excited about what was to come. Surrounded by Taylor's love and the support of her new extended family, Amelia knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, she would be able to face them head-on.

As they drove back to the hotel, the city lights of Melbourne twinkling around them, Amelia looked out the window with a newfound sense of belonging and peace. Tomorrow would be another big day, but for now, she was content to bask in the warmth of the moment, grateful for the journey that had brought her here and optimistic about the future unfolding before her.