Chapter 43

Kylie sat Amelia down in the cozy living room, the flickering light of the fireplace casting a warm glow across the room. The atmosphere was calm, a stark contrast to Amelia's earlier turmoil. The kids were asleep, and the house was quiet, save for the soft crackling of the fire.

"Amelia," Kylie began gently, her voice calm and reassuring, "I had a conversation with Taylor last night after you went to bed."

Amelia looked up, her eyes still red from the earlier tears, but with a glimmer of curiosity. "What did she say?"

Kylie took a deep breath, choosing her words carefully. "Taylor was worried about you. She wanted to know how you were doing and if there was anything she could do to help you feel more comfortable while she's away."

Amelia nodded, her heart aching with a mix of gratitude and homesickness. "I miss her and Travis. It's just been hard being away from them."

"I understand," Kylie said, placing a comforting hand on Amelia's shoulder. "Taylor feels the same way. She told me that she's been thinking about you a lot and wants to make sure you're okay."

Amelia looked down, fidgeting with the edge of her sweater. "I tried calling her last night, but I know she was busy."

Kylie smiled softly. "Yes, she was on her way to Tokyo. But she's still thinking about you and wants to stay connected. I was thinking... maybe it would help if we set up a time for you to talk to her tonight."

Amelia's eyes widened slightly, the idea bringing a hint of relief. "You think she'd be okay with that?"

"Absolutely," Kylie said with a reassuring nod. "Taylor would love to hear from you. It might give you something to look forward to and help you feel a bit more settled."

Amelia took a deep breath, the thought of speaking to Taylor giving her a sense of comfort. "I'd like that. I'd really like to talk to her."

Kylie smiled warmly. "Great. I'll set it up. We'll make sure Taylor knows to call you tonight, so you'll have a chance to talk and catch up."

As Kylie made the arrangements, Amelia felt a sense of calm wash over her. The idea of speaking to Taylor, hearing her voice, and sharing her thoughts and feelings seemed like a lifeline. It gave her a reason to focus on something positive, rather than feeling overwhelmed by her current situation.

Later that evening, as Amelia settled into her room, she felt a mix of excitement and nervousness. Kylie had ensured that everything was set for the call, and Amelia knew that soon she would be able to talk to Taylor. The anticipation of that conversation was a comforting thought, helping her through the uneasy moments of the day.

When the time finally came, Amelia took a deep breath and answered the call. The familiar voice on the other end was soothing and familiar, and as they began to talk, Amelia felt the distance between her and Taylor shrink, if only for a little while.