Chapter 71

The afternoon sun bathed the beach in a warm, golden light as Amelia sat on the back deck, her gaze fixed on the shoreline where James and Owen played in the surf. Their laughter reached her ears, but it felt distant, almost as if she were watching a scene from a movie rather than being part of it. Blake had given her permission to watch the younger kids alone, provided that the adults could keep an eye on them from the house. But even though she was technically supervising, her mind was elsewhere.

Taylor noticed Amelia's quiet demeanor as she stepped onto the deck, holding a glass of lemonade. She had been observing her for a while, sensing something was off. The way Amelia sat there, staring out at the ocean, spoke volumes. She hadn't seen Amelia so lost in thought in ages, and she couldn't shake the feeling that it had something to do with Logan.

Without saying a word, Taylor walked over and handed Amelia the glass. Amelia took it, offering a small smile in return, but her eyes quickly drifted back to the beach. Taylor sat down beside her, following her gaze to where James and Owen were now building a sandcastle, their carefree energy filling the air with joy.

For a few moments, they sat in silence, the sound of the waves and the distant laughter of the children the only noise around them. Taylor didn't need to ask Amelia what was on her mind; she could see it in the way her shoulders slumped slightly, the way her fingers nervously fidgeted with the hem of her shirt.

"You've been quiet today," Taylor finally said, her voice soft, but carrying a note of concern.

Amelia shrugged, not taking her eyes off the beach. "Just thinking."

Taylor nodded, letting the silence stretch out again before speaking. "You know, it's okay to miss him, even if things didn't end the way you wanted."

Amelia's grip tightened on the glass, but she didn't respond. Taylor continued, choosing her words carefully. "I haven't seen you this happy in a long time, Amelia. You smiled more, laughed more... even if it was just for a little while."

Amelia looked down at her drink, her thoughts swirling. "It just... it felt nice to be normal for once. To hang out with someone who didn't know about everything... who just saw me as Amelia."

Taylor reached out, placing a comforting hand on Amelia's shoulder. "You deserve to feel that way. And just because things didn't work out with Logan doesn't mean you won't find that happiness again. It's out there, waiting for you."

Amelia finally looked up at Taylor, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "But what if it never happens? What if I just keep getting hurt?"

Taylor's heart ached for her. She knew how hard it had been for Amelia to open up, to trust someone new. "It will happen, Amelia. And when it does, it'll be worth the wait. But for now, it's okay to feel sad. It's okay to take your time."

Amelia nodded slowly, her gaze drifting back to the beach where James and Owen were now chasing each other along the shore. She still felt the sting of Logan's betrayal, but Taylor's words offered a small comfort, a reminder that she wasn't alone in this.

As they sat there, watching the kids play, Taylor leaned in closer. "You know, if you ever want to talk about it... I'm here. No judgments, no pressure."

Amelia smiled faintly, grateful for the offer. "Thanks, Taylor. I might take you up on that."

And for the first time since that morning, Amelia felt a small weight lift off her shoulders. The pain was still there, but it was a little less sharp, a little less overwhelming. She knew she had a long way to go, but with Taylor by her side, maybe she could find her way through it.

The sun was beginning its slow descent, casting long shadows across the sand as Amelia sat on the deck, her mind still occupied with the conversation she'd had with Taylor. The comforting words had helped, but the lingering hurt from Logan's unexpected betrayal still gnawed at her.