Chapter 37

The morning light filtered softly through the curtains, casting a warm, gentle glow on the room. It was the last day of the Kelces' Christmas festivities, and Amelia woke up with a bittersweet feeling. The joy of the past few days had been overshadowed by moments of feeling out of place, and now, as the end of their holiday approached, she couldn't shake the sense of melancholy that had settled over her.

Taylor and Travis had already begun packing their bags, while Wyatt and Ellie ran around the house, excitedly recounting their favorite moments from the Christmas carol event they'd attended a few nights before. The house was alive with the bustle of packing and farewells, but Amelia felt detached from the celebration.

Downstairs, Kylie was busy preparing breakfast, her youngest daughter Bennett nestled comfortably in her arms. As Kylie moved about, she caught sight of Amelia standing quietly by the window, her face etched with a sadness that she couldn't quite hide.

Kylie decided to approach Amelia, gently calling out, "Hey, sweetie, can I talk to you for a moment?"

Amelia turned, her eyes red from the tears she had shed the night before. "Sure, Kylie."

Kylie guided Amelia to a quiet corner of the kitchen where they could speak privately. "I just wanted to check in and see how you're feeling. It's been a lot to take in, hasn't it?"

Amelia nodded, her voice barely above a whisper. "Yeah, I just feel like I don't belong here. I don't have any traditions with you guys, and I miss the ones I used to have with my mom."

Kylie's heart went out to Amelia. She sat down beside her and took Amelia's hand in hers. "I'm really sorry you're feeling this way. I wish there was something more I could do to make you feel at home."

Amelia looked up at Kylie with a hint of hope. "Do you think we could maybe do something special today? Like a tradition? Something that could be our own?"

Kylie smiled warmly. "I think that's a wonderful idea. In fact, I was talking to Taylor about that. We wanted to ask if there were any traditions you and your mom used to do that you'd like to share with us. It would mean a lot to us to honor those memories with you."

Amelia's eyes brightened slightly. "We used to bake cookies together and then watch old holiday movies. I'd love to do that again."

Kylie's smile widened. "How about we do just that today? We can make cookies and watch some movies. I think it would be a lovely way to end our holiday together."

Amelia felt a wave of relief and gratitude wash over her. "Thank you, Kylie. That means a lot to me."

As the day progressed, the Kelces put their plan into action. The kitchen was soon filled with the sweet aroma of freshly baked cookies, and the living room became a cozy haven for old holiday films. Amelia, Taylor, Travis, and the Kelce family gathered around, enjoying the simple pleasure of making cookies and sharing stories.

Before they knew it, the time to say goodbye arrived. The Kelces and their guests gathered in the driveway for the final farewells. Kylie pulled Amelia into a warm hug. "I'm really glad we could do something special for you. We'll definitely come visit soon, and maybe you can share more of your memories with us then."

Amelia hugged Kylie tightly, feeling a deep sense of appreciation. "Thank you for everything. I'd like that."

As Taylor and Travis finished loading the car, they exchanged heartfelt goodbyes with Kylie, Jason, and the girls. The promise of future visits and shared memories offered Amelia a sense of closure and hope.

The journey home was quiet but filled with a renewed sense of connection. Amelia looked out the window, feeling a mix of sadness and contentment. She had found a new place in the Kelce family's holiday traditions and had taken a step towards healing.

In the end, it wasn't just about the holidays; it was about finding a place where she belonged and creating new memories that honored her past while embracing her future.