7. Helping Hands

Kenma POV
(Before the 1st day of his second year in Nekoma High - at Kuroo's home)

*knock knock knock*

I stand in front of Kuroo's house on the last day of school break and nervously hold onto the bag with hair supplies as I anxiously wait for the door to open. I should have texted him that I was coming over, but I forgot to text him which surprised me because texting Kuroo is something I'd always remember to do when I come over. I re-check the things inside my bag again for the 100th... I hope I don't regret doing this. Today's the day I'm planning to dye my hair blonde. It seems shocking for such a plain person like me to want to dye my hair blonde of all colors... But I want to do it.

Kuroo opens the door with a yawn and just from looking at his usual bed hair, it was obvious that he woke up from my door knocks, "Hahhh~ Hey Kenma it's rare for you to come over this early. You should have texted me." Kuroo says stretching his body to wake himself and I walk to his room. "If you didn't text me then it must be it's something important so what's up?" Kuroo says as he walks back to his bed to lay down to relax himself.

"Kuroo can you help me dye my hair?" I ask him as I show him the hair dye in the bag. Kuroo's eyes widen in bewilderment as he takes a double take into the bag containing blonde hair dye.

"Dye your hair?! W-Why?!" Kuroo stares at me in disbelief. "What's wrong with your hair now?!"

"Nothing is wrong with it. I just want to stand out less," I answered him and Kuroo frowns hearing my answer.

"How does blonde hair make you stand out less?" Kuroo questions and gets out of his bed to organize his thoughts. "Wouldn't blonde hair make you stand out more? Akane has blonde hair too and doesn't she stand out?"

"She does stand out, but no one talks to her. I was thinking about dying my hair like that so people would do the same thing to me," I straightforwardly tell him and Kuroo blinks after hearing those words out of my mouth.

"You're dying your hair like Akane's to have people avoid you," Kuroo repeats my words and I nod my head. His infamous Cheshire smile forms on his face with a glint of interest, "Heh~ having the same hair as the girl you like. That's cute Kenma."

"I don't like Akane in that way," I correct him. I don't like Akane, I just want to avoid attention so I'm dying my hair blonde, that's it.

"Well, I kind of want to see you with dyed blonde hair so I think this could work out nicely." He chuckles, "I never done this before, but I think the results will turn out good after all you came to your captain for some help."

"...Sure," I say just to let that smile stay on his face. I take out my game console from my pocket so time can pass by quickly as Kuroo does my hair.

"Kenma are you just going to play on that while I dye your hair," Kuroo says with a hint of disappointment.

"Yeah..." I tell and start getting into game mode for Super Mario's Bros. I zone out from reality and press the buttons left from right on the game console as I vigorously try to get past Browser in the final boss level.

Kuroo sighs seeing me play and helps me dye my hair, "Kenma you seriously need to socialize more rather than play video games for the rest of your life. I don't think dying your hair blonde will help with this problem either." Kuroo says to himself and dyes my hair. "That's remind me since we were just talking about Akane I forgot to tell you that she's going to join our team as a manager." He announces and I take my eyes off the game in surprise just to see a smirk on Kuroo's face.

"Kenma you just lost the boss round," Kuroo bluntly comments as he sees the words game over on the game console.

"It doesn't matter, I saved the game before playing the boss." I tell him the number one rule of video gaming, "but forget that, why is Akane joining as a girls manager?" I ask and Kuroo shrugs.