14. As Tall As A Skytower

Akane POV

I stand next to Nanami as the strange, tall gray hair boy happily introduces himself to the boys volleyball team.

"Lev Haiba! First year in Nekoma High and I would like to join the boys' volleyball team!" Lev happily introduces himself.

He notices Yaku glaring at him and waves. "It's nice to see you again senpai!"

The whole team stares at him with a deadpan look as they think back to their first meeting with him.

"So Lev, do you have experience in volleyball?" Coach Naoi asks and Lev shakes his head.

"Nope I never touched a volleyball in my entire life," Lev answers with an innocent smile.

"Hah?! Then why do you want to join?" Yaku asks in complete shock with his arms folded.

I'm not sure why he's angry at Lev so much. They met once before but that was it. He must be salty that Lev is taller than him even though he's only a first year.

"I've seen you guys practice in the gym for a while and it looks fun! Not to mention you all seem like friendly people to be around, so why not?" Lev confidently states and the tip of Coach Nekomata's lips turn up.

"I like this kid. He can join our team," Coach Nekomata laughs.

"You can't be serious," Kuroo says in disbelief. "He has no volleyball experience and missed a few weeks of volleyball practice already. He's completely behind compared to the others."

"True, but seeing his determination now I'm sure he'll be a player that will flourish don't you think?" Coach Nekomata says and flashes a smile at Kenma.

Kenma sighs. "Making me do all the work." He mumbles.

"So am I in the team?!" Lev asks and Coach Nekomata grins.

"Yes you are," Coach Nekomata answers and Lev pumps his fist excited.

"It's amazing that his happy go lucky personality charmed the coach into accepting him. If only they knew how directionally challenged he is," Nanami mumbles. "Sorry he had to barge in out of nowhere when you were talking to Kenma. I hope we weren't interrupting in on an important conversation—"

I watch Lev Haiba happily interact with the team and I sigh. Even though I can't hear Lev, I can tell how loud and eager he is when it comes to starting a conversation with the boys in the team because his voice is literally vibrating the entire gym.

Lev is the complete opposite of Kenma. Kenma isn't exactly anti-social but if he doesn't need to start a conversation then he won't. That's why I enjoy Kenna's company so much. Just cause neither of us have to force ourselves to start a conversation. The silence is comforting when I'm with him.

...

Well probably not now though. Lev interrupted my conversation with Kenma earlier. I swear I was this close to revealing Kenma about being deaf but Lev came out of nowhere and left Kenma and I on an awkward note with each other.

What do I do now?

"Akane?!" Nanami shouts and pokes me on the shoulder.