58. Never Give Up

Kenma POV
Tokyo Representative Match
(Nekoma High v.s. Nohebi Academy)

After our loss against Fukurodani, we head straight into our next match against Nohebi Academy for third place.

I hold the volleyball up as I get ready to serve.

To qualify for the Tokyo Spring High Tournament, we need to win this match. If we lose here, then we won't be able to move on.

I serve the volleyball and their libero receives the volleyball. Their setter gets into position and tosses their volleyball to their captain, Daishou, to spike.

"One touch!" Kuroo shouts as the volleyball hits his fingertips.

Yamamoto dives for volleyball and it goes back to the opponent's side. I watch their spiker jump up and spike the volleyball down, scoring them the first point in the game.

I catch Daishou sneering at Yamamoto and I narrow my eyes.

What is he thinking?

Yamamoto clenches his fists. "Sorry! I'll get the next one right!"

"Don't let it get to you," Kai pats him on the back.

(On the stands...)

"I wonder what kind of team Nohebi is?" Alisa questions as she sees the score change.

"Hmmm... it's been a few years since we last played them," Yamamoto's little sister says scratching her chin. "But I would say they're similar to us."

"Akane's right. From the videos I watched of their previous games, their gameplay is solid and careful. Like us, they hold on to their defense and exploit the other team's weakness," Nanami explains.

"..." Aoi watches the game silently.

(On the courts)

As we rotate our positions on the court, their players look to Lev.

"No.11 whiffs a lot!" Daishou taunts.

"!?" Lev's head rises.

"Pfffttt," I let out a laugh and Lev looks at me shocked.

"Kenma don't laugh!" Lev cries out and glares at the captain.

"No. 4 can't hit a line shot," I overhear one of their teammates call out.

"No line shot from No.4! No line, no line!" Another teammate adds to the insult.

"Whatcha say!?" Yamamoto glares.

Hmmm... they're being careful on who they're picking to taunt. It also looks like our referee isn't the kind of person to care about that either... or he just doesn't hear it. I sigh. "Oh well. I hope these two idiots, don't fall for it too hard."

As the match continues, I set the volleyball to Yamamoto. He does a line shot but they block it.

"There, see? No line shot," one of them mocks.