50. Regrets

Aoi POV
(Two years ago ~ first year in Nekoma)

After our team's victory in the archery match against Itachiyama, I put away my bow and change out of my hakama. As I change back into my school uniform, I check the time on the clock on the wall. Normally around this time, I would go pick up Akane from her middle school and walk home together.

After I get myself dressed up, I swing my bag over my shoulder and leave the locker room. It was a normal routine for me to pick her up around this time but just as I was about to leave, one of the teammates calls out to me. "Hey Aoi are you coming with us to the afterparty?"

I turn around. "Afterparty?" I repeat.

My team captain walks over to me and proudly pats me on my shoulder. "That's right Aoi. You should come. You're the reason why we won today and are now eligible to enter the Inter-high Preliminaries. We're all proud of you and for once, we want to celebrate our victory with our star player, who never shows up to our parties."

"Hahaha captain you're embarrassing Aoi," one of my teammates teases and my cheeks blush in embarrassment.

I cover my face and ignore him. "So how long will the party be for?"

"We're just going to a nice sushi place to order some food, so maybe an hour? But who knows, it's a great time for us to get to know each other more as a team so it depends," my captain answers with a cheeky grin on his face.

"Come on Aoi join us please!" My teammate pleads.

I look around and see my team staring wide-eyed at me as they anxiously wait to hear my answer.

I sigh. Captain has a point though. I never attend these kinds of social gatherings. It's not that I see it as a waste of time but I just feel like it's not something that I'll enjoy. I'm not exactly a friendly person that likes to spend my time with others, I only joined the archery team because I enjoy the sport itself.

"Sure," I answer, and the whole team cheers.

I chuckle as I watch them get excited over having me come with them. They're quite an energetic and funny team.

After deciding to go with my team to celebrate, I send a text to Akane that I was going to be late and she send me a quick text that said I should enjoy myself with the team.

...

(In sushi restaurant...)

"Ehhhh? Aoi doesn't have a girlfriend?" All my senpais exclaim in shock.

"I don't," I monotonously repeat with a deadpan look.

"But you have such a large fan club of girls that would love to date you. I just don't understand how you're single like us," one of them cries out in disbelief.

"You shouldn't date someone only because they're interested in you. You should date someone when you really enjoy being around that person and want to stay by their side to make them happy," I explain and they stare at me wide-eyed.

"Aoi... you're surprisingly really pure," a second-year bluntly states, surprised by my answer.

"What does being pure have anything to do with this?" I question, completely confused.