eighteen

justin

shayla was in the bathroom while i was getting ready for this award show. i've been nominated for a lot, and im honored. "promise me you won't cry if i win an award?" i turn to shayla, hearing her walk into the bedroom.

"can't make any promises." she smiles. "is nicole going?"

"yeah, her and ryan are meeting us down there. why, i thought you hated her?"

she just nods. furrowing my eyebrows, i grab her hand, pulling her in front of me. "why? what's wrong, you've been so distant?"

"i feel like im a burden to you and ryan. you two are the only friends i have, and like the day you had that girl over i was just there in your way. and ryan almost had an argument with nicole because of me." she explains while fixing my tie. "if i make amends with nicole, i won't be in the way."

"you're not in the way. you're my best friend, i want you around me." i say softly, and she just sighs.

"i sometimes wonder if it'd be different if i stayed with my dad."

"you probably wouldn't be here with me." i frown. "but guess what?"

"don't make me guess, or i will punch you dead in the face."

frowning at her threat, i then answer. "nicki is sitting by us at the a-"

she hits me in the chest, then covers her mouth. "you're welcome." i roll my eyes, laughing.

"justin!"

"what?" i laugh. "just stay calm, okay. maybe she'll ask you to be in her videos."

"i can't dance."

"i can teach you."

"i can't twerk."

"but you have a nice ass." i smirk before running away. i hear her yell my name, and i just started laughing.

"you're so lucky i have this dress on!" she groans, picking it up from the ground to walk down the stairs. "don't talk about my butt."

"but it's great."

"seriously, shut up." she laughs.

+

when we got off of the red carpet, we met up with ryan and nicole. shay was talking to nicole, obviously having a civilized conversation, that probably won't last.

"you look distracted." ryan says to me.

"im fine, im just nervous." i breathe out. "the first award show in three years, i don't think i can-"

"justin, it'll be fine. you're fans are supporting you, your parents, me and shay are here." ryan says, patting my back. i grab shayla's hand, as she continues talking to nicole about who knows what.

when we were seated, the show had just started. we were front row, right by the stairs for the winners to walk up for their awards. the reason i dislike the front row is because i could be in the middle of a conversation and a camera is in my face and i'd end up as a meme on social media.

when nicki sat down with meek, her boyfriend, shayla gasped. nicki turns, then smiles. "justin, we haven't spoken in a while. and who's this gorgeous lady?"

"my best friend, shayla. if she goes silent that's because she's a huge fan." i say, laughing. nicki hugs her, shayla hugging back surprisingly.

shayla

nicki had nicely asked me to switch spots with her so she could talk to justin privately, and i did. i had to sit next to meek, me staying quiet for the simple fact he tried to kill drake and failed.

i had the feeling he was going to start talking to me, so i pulled my phone out to make sure my hair was okay. "oh, we're taking pictures?" nicki asks, posing.

the fact i wasn't taking a picture i started laughing but i just decided to take one with her, and another with justin in the back. when we switch spots back, justin laughs. "you're really loyal to drake, because you didn't say a word to him."

rolling my eyes, i just turn to look back up at the stage where kevin hart was making his goofy jokes, the whole crowd laughing.

i wonder what was said between nicki and justin. i hope it's another song.

----
he can make a song with halsey but not nicki i stg justin.