Chapter 2

Haymitch's P.O.V

I need a drink. I can already tell that this day will be a living Hell.

"Where is my vodka?" I wonder aloud. I walk over to my liquor storage and look for some vodka. Once I find it, I take it off the shelf and go into the living room.

I take a swig of the liquor and sigh in relief. I thought I had ran out.

I hear a knock on the door. "Haymitch, open up!" I hear Katniss's voice.

"It's already open!" I yell. I hear the door open and Katniss walks in.

"This place looks like a dump." Katniss says.

"I don't complain about your house, do I?" I say back.

"At least my house is clean. And liquor at 11:00 in the morning? Really Haymitch?" She scolds.

"I know. Usually I start drinking at 9:00, but I overslept." I say. "That damn firing squad woke me up."

"Are you worried about tonight?" She asks me, trying to change the subject.

"Not really. I have been through so much. I could care less about what happens." I say.

"I'm worried, though. I will be teaching kids how to fight to the death." She says.

"News flash, sweetheart. You already teach kids to fight to the death." I say back.

"This time is different though. This is the hundredth Hunger Games. No doubt about it that the Gamemakers will make this year's game a living nightmare." She says. She's got a point.

I take another swig of my vodka. I stare at the bottle, thinking back to all my years at mentoring. Ever since Peers and Katniss won their Games, they have been mentoring people.

"Haymitch?" Katniss says, trying to get my attention.

"What do you want?" I ask bitterly.

"It's what do I have." She says. At first, I didn't understand her. Then, she takes out of her big, black bag two bottles of gin.

"You may be unlikable, but you know how to get liquor." I gladly take the two bottles of gin and set them down next to me.

"I knew that you were getting a little low." She says. "I got to get home. I wanna do a few things around the house. Just wanted to give you the drinks. I will see you around."

She leaves the house after that. I look at the two bottles of gin and smile.

"I got something to drink now." I say aloud.