Chapter 83

Matthew's P.O.V

My mom's arrow hits Camille in the heart. At the same time, Johanna sticks her axe in my mom's back.

Camille starts to fall, so I gently pull her down to the ground. She is breathing heavily. I gently brush the hair out of her face.

"Oh my God." Johanna says. I look up and see Johanna has shock all over her face. "Give me a knife please."

"Why?" I ask.

"Please." She says, not saying much. I try to find a knife, but I see Camille is taking a knife from her belt. I take it from her and toss it to Johanna. She catches it and points the blade down to the ground.

She holds the knife with two hands. I realize what she is going to do. "Johanna, no!" I shout, but it is too late.

Johanna raises the knife and plunges it into her stomach. She falls to the ground. A cannon fires, then another, and another. Three cannons in a row.

I look down and see that Camille is no longer breathing. Her eyes are still open, so I gently close them. Then, a voice sounds all around the arena.

"Congratulations, Matthew Mellark. You are the winner of the 100th Hunger Games!"

I won. Winning this game doesn't feel good. It is a horrible feeling. I lost my family, a wonderful girl. I lost everything. I consider taking a knife that is on Camille's belt, but get interrupted by a hovercraft coming towards me.

I slowly get up, taking one last look at Camille, Johanna, and my mom. A ladder comes down, letting me climb up. Once I touch the rims, I freeze. I feel myself getting pulled up. I continue to stare down at the arena, looking at all the dead bodies.

Game over.