Chapter Three: Sasha

"Nicole hasn't called yet," Aunt Viv said as she looked out the window, "is that a good sign or a bad sign?"

       "Sweet heart, I'm positive that it's a good sign," Dad said as he hugged Aunt Viv from the back. The surprising thing though was that Aunt Viv didn't push him away. I guess she truly did love him despite what he did to her.

       "I agree with dad," Maya said. "I'm pretty sure Zende is treating her like the Queen she is."

       Queen? I don't think so. Nick was no Queen. Just a selfish girl who won't let Zende go. If you ask me I don't think that Zende really loves her. I mean if he did he wouldn't have left her when she was carrying Maya's baby. Plus Nick's too short for Zende. Zende needs a tall unselfish women like moi.

      "I'm sure you're right Maya," Aunt Viv said, "and you too Julius."

      "Yes. Now stop worrying about Nicole," Dad said and I couldn't agree more with him. "She probably wouldn't want either of us worrying about her."

       "Plus she's in good hands," Maya reminded.

       Aunt Viv smiled at both Maya and Dad as if to tell them that she wouldn't worry about ole precious Nicole anymore. Was it that serious though?

     "And what about you Sasha?"Dad asked coldly as Maya and Aunt Viv turned to look at me. "Do you think your sister is in good  hands?"

      And I knew he asked that because he knew how much I still cared for Zende.

       "Yes," I replied simply. Dad nodded and then  turned to Maya.

       "How's my grand baby doing?" Like he cared.

      "Lizzy is doing great," Maya replied. "Rick and I are glad to have her in our lives."

      Aunt Viv laughed. "Wait until Lizzy hits her teen years."

     "Rick and I aren't looking forward to that for a while," Maya replied, "but when that day does come we'll manage."

       Aunt Viv took Maya's hand in hers. "I sure hope so baby. I sure hope so."

      Maya smiled at Aunt Viv. Her smile reminded me of how Zende use to smile at me when we were together. So warm and so loving. I missed that. I missed Zende.

     "Well don't look now," Dad said as he looked out the window, "here comes Nicole." How great. I hope that she comes in crying her eyes out because Zende broke up with her.

        "How's she looking?" I wondered.

     "As beautiful as her mother," Dad replied. Aunt Viv looked at Dad as if she was shocked to hear him compliment her. "Now, when Nicole comes through that door I want each and everyone of you to give her a big smile like you mean it." He was looking at me mostly when he said this.

      I ignored him as Maya nodded. Aunt Viv stood beside Dad and Maya stood next to her. I stayed seated in Aunt Viv's chair. Maya looked at me as if she wanted to tell me to get up but I avoided her eye contact. The knob slowly turned and the door opened. I prayed that Nick would appear teary eyed  but my prayers weren't answer. Nick entered with a huge smile across her face wearing a gown that looked too good for her. The gown was strapless and white with black stripes designed on it.

      "Welcome back baby girl," Dad said happily.

      "I wish I didn't come back," Nick said dreamily.

     If you didn't want to come back then get out!

     "How did it go?" Aunt Viv asked as she walked over to Nicole.

     "Mama, I don't think you should ask that," Maya said. "It's obvious that it went well. Look at her. She's glowing."

      "I am?" Nicole asked, excitement in her voice.

      "She is?" I asked dully because I saw no glow. All I saw was a devil in a gown, nothing else.

      "Indeed she is," Dad said.

       "In that case," Aunt Viv said, "do tell."

      Nick sighed lovingly and I wanted to punch her.

       "Zende was so perfect, so romantic,  so-"

      I interrupted Nick purposely because I didn't want to hear anymore about her thoughts of Zende. "I like your dress."

       All eyes were now on me. Did I say something wrong?  Nick nodded her head. 

      "Thanks...Zende bought it for me." From the tone of her voice I knew she wanted to hurt me.

      "Right," I said, "I mean he is a Forrester after all. He has the will to waste his money on unnecessary things."

       "Excuse me?" Nicole asked. Was she deaf or something?

     "Sasha you need to silent yourself," Dad, Nick's knight in shinning armor, defended.

      "I'll say!" Aunt Viv said, agreeing with him. Maya remained silent and I knew she probably had something cruel and nasty in her head to say to me.

       "Of course take Nick's side why don't you all," I said, "you guys always do."

      "Sasha," Aunt Viv said gently.

     "No Aunt Viv!" I cried. "That's the truth." I realized that Dad and Maya were silent because they knew what I said was true. "It's always 'Nicole and Zende this' and 'Nicole and Zende that' and I am sick and tired of it!"

     "You honestly don't know what you're talking about young lady," Dad said, a look of disgust on his face.

      "Exactly Sasha, why are you tired of hearing about Zende and I?" Nick asked, voice flat and dangerous. "After all he is my boyfriend and I am his girlfriend."

        I should be his girlfriend not you Nick.

      "Well?" came Maya's voice, sounding equally as flat and dangerous as Nick. "Are you gonna answer Nicole or what?"

      I looked from the crossed Nicole to Maya to Dad to Aunt Viv who seemed so sad and disappointed.

     "As usual," Nicole said to me, "you never could answer questions."

     "Couldn't had said it better myself," Dad spat.

      Aunt Viv was quiet.

       "I think you should go Sasha," Nicole said, "since you probably won't wanna hear me talk about Zende."

      Was she actually kicking me out of my Dad and Aunt Viv's home. Who was she to do that?

    "That would be best," Maya said as she moved away from the door so that I could pass. I looked at Dad who just gave me a cold look. The look that he always gave me from young. I turned to Aunt Viv for help but she just looked away.

        "Alright fine," I said. "I don't want to be here anyway."

      "Good because I didn't want you here in the first place," Nick spat.

      And that was the last straw. "For what it's worth Nick," I said as I looked at her, "I should have been in that gown going out with Zende, not you!" And with that I left, slamming the door behind me. I ran down the block as tears fell from my eyes.