Chapter Nineteen: Caroline

I used the cabin's address to schedule a cab to take me to the airport. I hoped it didn't take too long to get here. Then again it was after seven so I should  expect the worst. I struggled to the cabin with my two bulky suitcases and hoped that Douglas was alright in there. I kicked open the door, leaving both suitcases outside, and entered the cabin. Thomas stood near the entrance as he bounced Douglas cutely on his hip.

      "How dare you take Douglas away from me without consulting me first?!" I yelled. Thomas stopped bouncing Douglas on his hip as he turned to look at me.

     "Thought I'd spend some time with him," Thomas answered as he kissed Douglas on the forehead. I stood unamused. "Don't you think I have the right to see my son?"

     "He is Ridge's-" I started but immediately caught myself. I was going to say that Douglas was Ridge's son but we all knew he wasn't. Thomas didn't seem like he caught on to what I almost said thanks to Douglas's cuteness for distracting him. "Yes."

      "Alright then," Thomas said as he rocked Douglas in his arms.

     "What are you doing here at the cabin anyway?" I asked as I folded my arms across my chest.

      "Regaining memories," Thomas replied and I thought that was an an odd answer. "I haven't been here since I was a kid. I remember Steffy, Phoebe and I use to come here all the time and play with our grandmother." A fond smile appeared on his face as he stared into space, still rocking Douglas in his arms. "Do you know what our grandmother use to call this place? She use to call it-"

     "Big bear," Thomas and I said together. Thomas looked at me in surprise as if he wasn't expecting me to know the answer.

      "Your father told me all about that," I explained. Ridge told me everything. From his first love, which had been my mother's twin sister who was also  named Caroline, to the conflict between Eric and Ridge's real father Massimo Marone, down to the death of his daughter, Steffy's twin, Phoebe. A lot went on in his life and I was just sad to know that I wouldn't be apart of it.

      "Why am I not surprise that he did," Thomas said softly as he gently placed Douglas into a baby car seat that sat on the bed. He gazed at Douglas in awe. "To think Caroline, we made Douglas. We made this beautiful boy together." He didn't have to remind me twice. I stood beside Thomas as his gaze remained fix on Douglas. "Born from a Spencer and a Forrester." Thomas turned to me and I swore that I smelled a whiff of rotten gas. "Maybe it's destiny that your family and I are meant to be together like Steffy and Liam." The Forrester's and Spencer's were meant to be together? I didn't agree. I dated Rick, Thomas and married Ridge. All three of them were Forrester men and I didn't last long with any of them. Maybe just Liam and Steffy were meant to be from our families and that's it. I turned my attention away from Thomas as I looked at Douglas. He was sleeping so peacefully with a pacifier in his mouth. Wish he could stay this age forever.

      I felt Thomas's gaze on me and I wish he would stop looking so hard. It was bad enough that we were in the same room together and I didn't want one  gaze to lead to another pregnancy.

     "You still didn't tell me why  you were here," I reminded. Pretty sure he didn't come all the way to the cabin to reminiscent about his childhood.

     "He didn't tell you?" Thomas asked. He ? He who? "Of course he didn't." Thomas placed his hands in his pocket as he continued. "Dad kicked me out of the mansion."

      "What!?" I asked shocked. I wasn't expecting that to be his answer. "Why?"

       "Because of you," Thomas answered and I paused. "Dad didn't want me to get closer to you now that you and him broke things off." That made no sense to me at all because Ridge wanted to divorce me because  he wanted Thomas and I to be together. Why was Thomas saying something else? "Said that I was sneaky because I placed that portrait of you in the living room. He still thinks that I have feelings for you and he's right." I stared at Thomas in shock at his sudden confession. "I dated Veronica in hopes to clear you out my head but I couldn't. You're the mother of my son and it will take years to forget about you Caroline." I said nothing because I was stunned to know Thomas's true  feelings. I knew he cared about me but not like this. "I know I nearly forgot your birthday and I apologize for that. I had a lot on mind including accepting Douglas as my son." Understandable. He was forgiven ever since he presented that lovely portrait of me the other day. "I want to start over with you Caroline. I want us to be a family with Douglas as we should have been in the first place." I felt tears in my eyes because he was right. We should  have been a family a long time ago. I shouldn't have married Ridge and then lie to Thomas about Douglas's paternity. "No Dad plunging his behind in things that don't concern him or trying to claim  you or Douglas as his. Just us three." I looked up at the ceiling as I blinked back tears. The more that Thomas was saying the more stupid I felt. "I'm willing to be a good father and husband if you just let me into your heart as you did before. I know Dad tore your heart in two but I'm willing to pick up the pieces if you just let me." I stood in thought, thinking about everything Thomas was saying. Yes, I wanted Thomas in my life again as well as Douglas to have a father but I didn't want to make a bad decision again. "Say something to me Caroline."