Chapter Six: Zende

I didn't like that Inari guy at all. Everything about him bothered me. The fact that he never took lunch breaks, never smiled and never laughed told me that there was something off about him. Since the past two days that he's been working here at Forrester,  I kept a close eye on him.

        "Can you believe that he did that?" Nicole asked as I eyed Inari from across the hall.

       "Can I believe who did what?" I wondered. I was too focused on that Inari guy to even listen to what my own girlfriend had to say.

        "Your grandfather," Nicole replied as she stared at me, "he threatened to kick me out of Forrester if he caught me disrespecting Sasha."

         "Oh, that's good of him," I said still not listening much to Nicole.

        "Are you even listening to me Zende?" she asked and I said nothing. I looked at Inari as he nodded curtly to passerby's wearing yet another open shirt.  He looked terrible and I wanted to know what did Sasha see in him? "Does the new security guard interest you more than me?"

       "No," I said quickly as I turned to face Nicole. "Never."

      "Then I don't understand why you are constantly eyeing him," Nicole said dully. "I mean he is attractive but-"

         "I just don't trust him," I told Nicole. "I don't even think he should be working here at Forrester. Not with Sasha and not with us."

        "What bought this on, babe?" Nicole asked as she gently rubbed her hand on my arm as if to calm me. "You don't even know the guy."

        "And  I don't want to know him," I said curtly. "I don't want him near Sasha I-"

        "Okay what is with you and Sasha?" Nicole questioned as she stopped rubbing my arm. "Why is her name coming from your mouth so often?" I didn't know why her name was coming out of my mouth so frequently. Maybe it was because I still had feelings for her. "Answer me Zende."

       "I'm just concerned Nicole," I answered. "I'm concerned about Sasha." Nicole rolled her eyes annoyed as I continued, "I mean after she got robbed and shamed within the same week, it's pretty hard not to be worried about her. Not to mention that she is involving herself in some stranger that she just met and-"

      "Sasha is grown  Zende," Nicole interrupted, "she doesn't need you worrying about her every minute. Whatever is going on between her and the security guard is her business not ours." Easy for her to say. She was never robbed or shamed before. "Can we just forget about Sasha and focus on us and-"

      "Do you even care Nicole? Do you even care about your own sister?" I demanded to know.

      "I told you before Zende that I'm trying  to care about Sasha but-"

       "Well try harder," I said coldly. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk but I was annoyed.

        "Your shift was over twenty minutes ago why are you still here my boy?"

         I paused as I heard Grand-dad's voice from across the halls. I turned around and sure enough there he was talking to that Inari guy.

       "Zende-" Nicole began but I placed a finger to her lips so that she wouldn't utter another word.

       "Just waiting for Sasha," Inari answered simply.

       "Of course," Grand- dad said with a smile, "I should have guessed that." I should've guessed that too. "Anyway since you are still here I want to tell you that you won't have to come in tomorrow or Friday." Inari just stared at Grand- dad without asking "Why?" as he continued,"I won't be coming in those days and I feel as though you shouldn't either since you've been on your feet for such long  hours."