Chapter Thirty Eight: Cressida

As you probably guessed, Ms Fuller never gave me the rubies that she promised. In fact, she never mentioned them after she told me to knock out Liam at the masquerade ball. Not that I'm surprised since this was the same woman who promised to pay me weekly and never did. She was a liar who conned me into killing Liam for her own selfish purposes. She used me as a tool and I was so oblivious, thinking that this odd woman would actually give me money for my grandmother's surgery. But no, I was too desperate for the money that never came and too gullible to even realize that this wasn't just any ole job. If I must say, this wasn't even a job at all. It was more like a dangerous secretive team of two set to murder the innocent.  I was suffering the consequences now for my stupidity. I had a broken heart from Liam as well as no money for my grandmother's surgery. I was now back were I started, broke and alone.

       I packed up my things into a regular size bag of mine. I took some clothes that Ms Fuller gave me-since they were too big for her-and made my way over to my car in the front of Ms Fuller's house. It was time to leave here and go back to Hawthorne where my poor behind belonged. My grandmother needed me and I should've never left her in the first place. She probably thought that I was like the rest of my sisters, finding her annoying the more sick she became. That was far from true. I set out all the way here just to get an ordinary job in hopes to save up for the other half of her surgery. Little did I know that what I thought was ordinary turned out to be insane. 

       As I closed Ms Fuller's door my phone vibrated in the side pocket of my long pink maxi dress. Yes, the dress belonged to Ms Fuller but since she never gave me money I stole some of her clothes that she lent me. The high waisted emerald green drape skirt that I wore the first time I met Liam was one article of clothing that was soundly in my bag as well as this leather cropped jacket that I wore over the long pink maxi dress. I reached into my pocket for my phone and I saw that it was Dr Braithwig calling. Quickly, I answered the phone.

        "Hey Dr Braithwig," I greeted sounding slightly tired from all the drama that happened this week. "Never thought I would be so happy- even though I don't sound like it- to see a call from you. What's up?"

     "Is this a joke  Cressida?" Dr Braithwig asked sternly. I paused, not at all expecting him to respond at all like I did something that offended him. "Is your grandmother's tumor a joke to you?"

       "No never," I replied, stunned. "What makes you think it would be?"

       "Oh don't be daft Cressida," Dr Braithwig replied crossly, "your actions tell me otherwise."

        "With all due respect Dr Braithwig I care a great deal about my grandmother and her tumor."

      "You say that but yet I tried calling you a thousand times and you didn't have the common decency to call me back."

    Dr Braithwig called me a thousand times? My phone probably didn't get it because I would have definitely called him back in a heart beat. He needed to understand that my phone was old and crusty-a flip phone to be exact- and unlike his high paying doctor pooch I didn't have the luxury to afford those kindle size touch screen phones like he, Liam and Wyatt did. I'm sure he knew that.

        "I never received any of your calls," I told him trying my best not to start crying over the phone. I was already stressed as it was and he wasn't making things any better.

       "Never received them? Or were you too busy clubbing to even consider-"

      "I don't club Doc," I said, defending myself, "and you know that." My youngest sister, Rita, liked clubbing. I didn't.  "You know me better than I know myself. I would never ignore your calls on purpose."