Chapter Thirty Three: Sasha

"One, two, three clear!" The lead doctor in sea green scrubs shouted over the loud beeps of the many machines that were attached to Zende. Another doctor in identical scrubs placed two metal defibrillator onto Zende's chest as his limp body rose slightly from the shock of the defibrillator. The lead doctor as well as Nick, Aunt Viv, Rick and Maya glanced up at Zende's heart rate monitor as did I from outside the room.  We saw no heart rate appear on the monitor which made the doctors only repeat the process in trying to get Zende's heart starting again.

       "Come on baby," Nick said through tears. "Come back to me please. I need you so much I-"

        "Ssssh," Aunt Viv said soothingly as she hugged Nick. "It's gonna be alright. He'll be alright." Nick cried into her and I wished there was someone out here that I could cry into too. Zende was dead and even though the doctors where doing their best to get his heart pumping again, it was too late.

        "Clear!" The lead doctor said for the last time as the defibrillator shocked Zende's chest. No heart rate was found as the doctor removed his white mouth covering sadly. The other three doctors who were with him took up the defibrillator and silently left the room as though they been defeated by something greater than them...just like Zende and Inari. "I'm sorry but Zende's heart isn't responding at all to the defibrillator. We tried are best to get his heart beating again but it seems like...well...it seems...seems...seems-"

       "If you say seems  again I'll-" Rick started angrily as he intimidatingly came up close to the doctor.

       "What my husband met was, what are you trying to say?" Maya fixed as she held Rick back from the frightened doctor.

      "I'm saying, Ms Forrester, that Zende has gone to a better place," The doctor answered gravely. My heart broke as I saw Nick fall to the floor in grief as the doctor said those terrible words.

      "Don't give us that bull doc," Rick said as I saw tears form in his eyes. "My  nephew isn't dead! Just because your off whack machine was too cheap to get his heart pumping again doesn't mean you can't find other ways to bring him back to us." The doctor looked down uncomfortably as Rick continued, "For crying aloud you're a fucking  doctor. It's your job to treat and help people because that's what you're paid to do!"

       "Mr Forrester if you must know-" The doctor tried but Rick would hear none of it.

       "There has to be something else you can do to help him. There's just gotta be."

       "I'm sorry," The doctor replied. "If there was another way to save your nephew I would have done it. Unfortunately, there's not. Please sir, understand that I'm only a doctor and can't work miracles." The doctor turned to Nick as he saw her sobbing loudly on the floor. Guiltily he turned away from her and looked at Aunt Viv and Maya. "I'm sorry again for your lost especially since he was only twenty four and-"

      "Can we get some privacy please doctor," Aunt Viv said interrupting the doctor, "I think that would be best for now."

     The doctor nodded as he left the room awkwardly. Had he known how much Zende met to everyone in that room he would understand what everyone was going through. I get that it wasn't easy to tell someone's family that their family member was dead but he could have showed more sympathy. I stared through the glass where Zende laid lifelessly with Nick, Aunt Viv, Maya and Rick by his side. Tears fell from my eyes because that should have been me laying their dead, not him.

       "Out of my way!" came a familiar sounding voice.

       "I'm sorry sir but only four visitors are allowed in one room," replied someone with a small voice.