Chapter Twenty Two: Maya

Rick was right. Katie's fridge had nothing in it but different beers, rums and vodka's. I actually thought he was over exaggerating but this proved me wrong. I knew Katie's drinking problem was bad but I never knew how bad. One by one I started packing the beers into Rick's gym bag. Where was Katie's food? Was she even eating anything? Not a single appearance of food was in sight and I couldn't help but to feel a little worried for Katie. I was starting to think that maybe Bill made the right idea of taking his son away from her. I would have took Lizzy away in a heart beat if Rick had alcohol issues like his aunt.

      "I need a drink." came Katie's voice as I heard footsteps come near the kitchen.

      My heart began to pound because I didn't want her to catch me doing something that my husband told me to do. Wasn't Rick suppose to be talking to her?

       "You need help." came Rick's voice and I assumed that maybe he stopped her from coming into the kitchen because I didn't hear any more foot steps. Thank God!

         Since this job that Rick had me doing was all too risky, I started to pack the beers more quicker than before. I reminded myself that when this was all over, I didn't want to be apart of Rick's plans ever again. I had my own unresolved issues with my family and I didn't need anymore. I took in a sigh of relief as I finished putting the beers away. Twenty beers down many more to go. As I started to pack away the rums, which was Rick's favorite, my phone went off. A loud piercing bell like sound echoed through Katie's house and I knew for a fact that she probably heard it. I quickly took my phone from out my bra and quickly silenced it.

       "What was that?" I heard Katie say from the next room. Her voice sounded alert and a bit too close to the kitchen.

     "What was what?" Rick wondered, pretending like he didn't know what she was talking about.

       "That sound," Katie replied, "like bells or something."

       "Bells?" Rick questioned. "You must be hearing things."

        Yes Rick, keep stalling.

       "I'm not hearing things Rick. It came from the kitchen," Katie cried as I heard her footsteps draw near.

       I closed her fridge shut and quickly ducked underneath the table that stood close by the fridge. I dragged the gym bag with me as Katie entered the room.

       "Somebody's here," Katie said crazily, "I could feel it."

       "What you feel is paranoia," Rick replied as I saw his feet come close to the table. "As obvious as it is, no one's here."

       "But I-" Katie tried.

       "Why don't you lie down," Rick suggested. "You could use it."

         Yes Rick, get her away from here.

        I heard Katie sigh as her footsteps and his left the room. I looked at my phone to see who was the one that nearly blew my cover. I swiped my phone open as I saw that I had a miss call from Mom. Why was she calling me at this hour? I hoped Dad and Sasha weren't tormenting her so early in the morning. I definitely will call her back once this is all over. I put my phone away and continue to put away Katie's alcohol.

        This was the second time that I was almost caught and I hoped it be the last. Maybe this was a sign saying that Rick and I shouldn't be here doing this. But it was too late to put all these beers and rum's back now. I reached into the fridge and pulled out three vodka bottles. Thank goodness that was the only three alcohol beverages left. I placed them into the gym bag and dragged the bag at the corner of the door, zipping it up. Thank God that was done.