Chapter Thirty Three: Thomas

When I looked into Grand-dad's eyes,  I didn't see the sweet Eric Forrester that the family all knew and loved. I saw someone completely different. Someone who looked very tired, weak and saddened to the point that I felt sad just by looking at him.

        "What's this about Thomas?" Grand- dad asked tiredly. "Did you just come to stare at me or do you have something to tell me?"

       Once Grand-dad spoke, I almost forgot the whole reason why I came to see him.

      "What's going on Grand-dad?" I asked. "What happened to you?"

      Grand-dad blinked as though I had six heads. "What happened to me? What kind of question is that to ask me? Nothing happened to me as you can see I am still working hard as ever trying to-"

       "I mean what happened to you and your family?" I asked. At the mention of family  Grand- dad made a sudden face of disgust as though he smelled something rotten. "You barley call Steffy, Dad, Zende and I anymore and we're beginning to worry." Grand- dad stared stone faced as I continued, "We miss you Grand- dad. We love you Grand-"

      "Love !" Grand- dad echoed. "For some reason Thomas I am starting to believe that the Forrester family doesn't know what that word means."

       "Of course we know what that word means Grand- dad," I said. "We're a loving family after all and-"

        "Hog wash!" Grand- dad spat and at once I jumped in surprise at how harsh his tone was. Grand-dad was a peaceful soul and hardly ever got angry. What I was seeing now was all new to me. "Loving family my behind!" Grand-dad looked at me with anger in his eyes and I almost regretted coming to see him. "If you guys were a loving family, as you claim, you would have accepted Quinn as my wife."

        Was he still hurt about the way we treated that wretched woman? If he was he needed to let it die. She was toxic and no good for him.

      "If you guys were a loving family you would have wanted to see me happy," Grand-dad continued as he came close to me looking like a crazed old man.

      "We did want to see you happy," I told him, "just not with that woman."

       "That woman has a name Thomas," Grand-dad defended firmly. "That  woman I loved and I still do."

     "But where is she now Grand-dad?" I asked him. "Where is Quinn now?" Grand-dad became quiet and I almost felt bad for even opening up my mouth and saying such a thing to him. "She's gone Grand-dad. Gone. Vanished out of the blue. Tell me, does that sound like someone who loves you?"

     "Your father must've scared her away," Grand dad said softly. "He didn't want me to be happy."

       If Grand-dad didn't stop saying that his family didn't want him to be happy one more time I was going to go crazy.

       "We all know how ridiculous and barbarous Dad can be," I told him. I mean after he stole the woman that I loved and tried to claim my son as his, what more can he do? "But, he didn't scare her away. None of us did. She left on her own and that's something that you have to accept. No use isolating yourself from us because we didn't like Quinn." Grand-dad was silent as I went on, "No use being sad that she's gone. You're a Forrester for crying out loud. Take pride in that name and tell yourself that you can have any woman other than that Quinn. I heard Brooke is available." Grand-dad was still silent and I hoped that what I was telling him was digesting in his brain. I went over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. "We care a whole deal about you. Always remember that." I smiled at him but he never smiled back. "Forgive us and come home and stop thinking about Quinn."