Chapter Three: Ridge

It scared me to see Caroline like this because I wasn't use to seeing her sad and angry at the same time.

        "Why Ridge? Why do you want to leave me?" she asked as her eyes watered.

        "I don't  want to leave you Caroline," I tried to explain, "it's just-"

        "It's just what?!" she cried. "It's just that you love Brooke more than me, isn't it?" Yes but no.

       "No it's not like that at all," I defended. "I was thinking of letting you go so that you can be with Thomas." Caroline's eyes bulged as if what I was saying was all Greek to her.

      "B-B-Be with Thomas?" she asked and I nodded. "But I don't want to be with Thomas. I want to be with you."

       "But Thomas loves you," I explained, "he gave you the child that I couldn't give you." I looked at Caroline and it pained me. Pained me that I didn't tell her sooner as I had planned. "He's crazy about you and I shouldn't have married you so quickly knowing how much my son cares about you."

     "Why didn't you tell me this sooner? Why did you have to tell Brooke before you told me?" Caroline asked as she pointed to herself.

       "Because I confide in her. I wasn't ready to tell you yet," I responded.

      "And because you love her," Caroline added and I froze. "You love Brooke don't you?"

      Dad always taught me that if I cared about someone I should always be honest with them. Caroline was always good to me and I owed her the truth.

        "Yes," I answered, "I do."

      "What about me?" Caroline asked. "Did you ever love me as you claimed you did?"

      "Of course Caroline. I wouldn't have married you if I didn't."

      "Then why do you want me to be with Thomas?" Caroline bawled. I thought I already explained that to her. "After all that we been through. After all the things that I have done for you and you still want me to be with Thomas!"

       "Thomas will treat you better," I said. Although he screwed things up with her twice, as much as I hate to say this he may not screw anything up again.

        "I obeyed and respected your wishes," Caroline said tightly. "You told me not to tell anyone that Douglas was Thomas's father and I did." Where was she going with this? "What more do I have to do to show you that I'm a good wife?"

        "You are a good wife," I told her, "that much I know. It's just that we are two different people Caroline. Half of the time I feel like I'm married to Steffy because of the big age gap." Caroline sniffed as I continued, "But to be honest with you...I don't think I could go another month being your husband who has feelings for someone else. It's not fair to you and it's not fair for me to live in such a lie and-"

        "W-What are you saying?" Caroline asked.

       "I'm saying," I said gently, "that we should go our separate ways." I looked up at the ceiling as I felt tears in my own eyes. Breaking up with Caroline was a hard thing to do. She was a sweet heart and did nothing wrong but loved  me.

      "Uncle Bill was right about you," Caroline said after three seconds. "He was right to not approve you as my husband."

       "No no no," I said quickly. Spencer was never right about anything.

       "But I didn't listen because I was too in love with you," Caroline continued. "But I know now." Her voice cracked as she sat down on the bed. "I definitely know now." She began to cry and I couldn't bare to see her crying. Not like this. I sat down beside her and placed my hand on her knee to comfort her. She only cried even harder when I did that so I pulled her close to me and hugged her tightly.

       "Sssssh," I soothed. "It's going to be alright." I leaned my cheek on her head as a tear fell from my eye. This would be the last time that I would have Caroline in my arms like this. "We'll  be alright."