38. Your Best Friends

(You’re Best Friends But One Boy Knows You Like Him)

Luke: “Where’s Luke?” Ashton asks, sitting next to you on the tour bus couch. “On a date,” you state, rolling your eyes. “Oh, how do you feel about that?” Ashton asks, glancing at you curiously. “He can do whatever he wants,” You reply bitterly. “Okay,” Ashton says with a laugh. “It’s not like he needs my approval,” you add, convincing yourself more than Ashton. “Got it,” Ashton says, trying to be serious. “If he wants to date a slut he can,” you decide, forgetting that Ashton is there, “I mean why shouldn’t he? And why should I waste my time on someone who will never like me?” “Is that a confession?” Ashton asks immediately. Your eyes widen as you realize what you said. “No, it was hypothetical,” you lie. “I knew you liked him!” Ashton yells triumphantly, leaping off the couch and dancing around. You shush him, pulling him back onto the couch. “Don’t tell anyone,” you plead, “I don’t want to make things awkward.” “Okay,” Ashton agrees, “But I really think if Luke wasn’t so shy you would’ve been dating by now.” “Do you think he might like me?” You ask hopefully. “I’ll find out,” Ashton offers, “Secret agent Ashton!” You laugh and thank him as he begins to plan how he would find out if Luke liked you back. “He’s back!” Ashton whispers, rushing from the room and through the bus to meet Luke at the door. “How was your date?” Ashton asks Luke, leaning against the door frame casually. “How’d you know I was on a date?” Luke inquires. “Y/n mentioned it,” Ashton replies with a shrug. “What’d she say?” Luke asks, biting his lip and looking at Ashton, hoping to hear that you had been jealous, or even cared at all. “That you were on a date,” Ashton answers simply. “Oh,” Luke says, nodding. “So how was it?” Ashton asks again. “I dunno,” Luke sighs with a shrug, “She was just kinda, ya know, throwing herself at me. It was awkward.” “You know who I realized is so funny?” Ashton asks casually. “Y/n!” He answers, not waiting for Luke’s guess. “Yeah,” Luke agrees. “She’s nice too,” Ashton points out, “And wow she’s hot.” “I hadn’t noticed,” Luke mutters, blushing. “I was thinking of asking her out,” Ashton says casually, “Unless, of course, you like her.” “Me? No,” Luke insists, “But maybe you shouldn’t ask her out. I mean, she’s not really your type.” “Are you kidding?!” Ashton asks incredulously, “She’s practically perfect!” “But, but she’s my best friend!” Luke argues. “Well, if you like her then she’s all yours,” Ashton replies, “Just tell me!” “I - well, she’d never like me like that,” Luke mumbles. “I think she would,” Ashton disagrees, “I see the way she looks at you.” “Really?” Luke asks hopefully. Ashton nods, grinning. “Then maybe I will ask her out,” Luke says thoughtfully. You hear the door open and Luke shuffles in, Ashton giving you a thumbs up over Luke’s shoulder. “Hey! How was your date?” You ask as Luke plops down next to you. “I’m not gonna see her again,” Luke replies immediately. “It was that bad?” You ask, making a face. “It’s not that it was bad, really,” Luke explains, “It’s just that I’ve realized there is someone better - someone who I’ve known for a really long time but never let myself see as more than a friend, even though I should have from the start.” He looks at you nervously, hoping you got the not-so-subtle hint. “That’s nice,” you state with an encouraging smile. “Well, don’t you wanna know who it is?” He asks, biting his lip. “Well, I’ll respect your privacy,” you respond, trying not to laugh as you torment Luke. Luke lets out an exasperated sigh and you give him a questioning look. “You’ve never wanted to ‘respect my privacy’ before,” he points out, using his fingers for air quotes around your words. “I decided I want to,” you say innocently. “It’s you!” Luke finally blurts out, “I like you!” A wide grin spreads across your face and you giggle happily. “Well?” Are you gonna say something?” Luke mutters. You shake your head, still smiling uncontrollably as you lean in and connect your lips to his. You pull away when you hear clapping, looking over to see Ashton standing in the doorway with a smug look on his face. “Get outta here, Irwin,” Luke chuckles, tossing a pillow at Ashton’s head before he ducks out of the room.