94. You Don't Say "I Love You" Back

Ashton:

Since it's been a while since Ashton and I have had some time alone, we decided to spend the night together, just cuddling and watching movies. Somewhere in the middle of the second one, Ashton talks to me for a while, very seriously."And I just wanted to say that I love you" Ashton says, looking down at his hands wrapped around mine. I am at a loss for words, as I hadn't been expecting that. Sure, we've been together for a few months, and I think I feel that way too. I think. I just feel like it's a little too soon. That's all. So I stand there, not saying anything with Ashton standing in front of me, waiting for me to respond to his confession. After a while he lets go of my hands, still looking down. "Ashton, I-" I begin. "No, Y/N, it's fine" he cuts me off. "I understand. It's too early for this. I'm sorry I brought it up" he says, trudging out of the room. "Ashton, wait" I call to him, but it's too late. He's out the door and walking down the street, hands in pockets, head down.

Calum:

Calum and I are spending this lovely Sunday afternoon together, and right now we're having a tickle fight. He's on top of me, hands digging into my sides, leaving me gasping for air. Somewhere in the air through my giggles I hear Calum say "I love you so much, Y/N". I pry my eyes open and look at him to find him staring into my eyes. He looks as me as if he's expecting me to say something, and I am still at a loss for words. I'm still mot completely sure if he said what I though I had heard. Maybe he just said that he loves this so much instead of me. I don't know. As I'm pondering what to respond with, Calum gets off from being on top of me, sitting back up on the couch. "Calum..." I trail off, looking at the floor. "Y/N, it's fine. I get it. I shouldn't have said anything" Calum sighs, getting up and going up the stairs, closing a door behind him.

Michael:

It had been a long day for both me and Michael, him at the studio and me at school. We finally get the chance to lie down and do absolutely nothing. He set up a nice bath and afterwards we got into are pajamas and into bed. Michael lies on his back with his arm around my shoulder as I lie on my stomach, with my head on his chest. We stay still for quite some time. It's very quiet and I listen to the strong beating of his heart and the steady breath running through his lungs. Just as I'm dozing off, I hear a faint whisper from Michael, who I thought was already sleeping. "I love you, Y/N" he says. I keep quiet, and only our breaths can be heard for a while. We haven't really said that to each other yet. Sure, when we were just friends, we said it in the friendly, joking way you say "I love you" to your friends, but we haven't said it yet in a serious situation. I continue to allow the only sound be our breathing, and I feel Michael shift a bit as he mutters and "Okay" before falling asleep.

Luke:

Luke had asked me quite some time in advance to keep tonight free, so I did. He drives us to a park around eight at night, just when the sun is setting completely. We walk hand in hand, winding throughout the park, though the various patches of trees and waterways. After a little while of walking, he sits down on a bench overlooking the pond. Some time goes by and I feel Luke's gaze on me after a little bit of sitting, so I turn to look at him. He stares down into my eyes and I look up into his. "I love you, Y/N" he says out of nowhere. I freeze, my hand no longer fiddling with the hem of my sundress. I turn my focus back onto the bond and continue to let my hands move again. Say it back. Say it, I tell myself. But I can't I don't know why. Well, maybe I do. I think what my mind is doing it to not let myself think that I love him, and it takes all of the power in the world to not tell him that I feel the same way. I don't want myself to get hurt when he goes on tour and finds someone better. By the time I'm done processing it all, Luke has gotten up and continues along the path alone, head down.