1

Third Person P.O.V. Flashback to the Night of the Engagement Party
     Heath had gotten home before Zane or Kam, thankfully, as he was not in the mood to be around anyone in his current state. He pulled at his hair as he slammed the front door behind him, turning to the wall opposite the closet and punching it. He retracted his hand immediately as he looked at the small hole he had made into the cream colored wall. Heath held his hand tightly, looking down at his fist and grimacing at the open cuts across his knuckles he had just made. Shaking off his hand, he began to take his suit jacket off, walking to the refrigerator. He grabbed his personal bottle of Hennessey, walking off and into his room.
     He took a cigarette from his pocket, lighting it in the middle of his room, as he began to strip the rest of the suit off and onto the floor. In between articles of clothing, h would take a swig of the alcohol. He would make a face every time, becoming more numb as he continued to chug the strong liquor. He was down to his grey boxer-briefs and white tank top, loosely holding the cigarette between his lips as he shuffled around the room to find a shirt. He went to pick up what he thought was a black t-shirt, realizing it was Katie's. He laughed to himself, shaking his head, and throwing it into the trash bin next to his desk.
     Heath grabbed the bottle of liquor and began to chug it some more, including bringing his pack of cigarettes, a lighter, and cell phone to the porch. He opened the door, closing it behind him and sitting on his patio chair. He kicked his feet up onto the table, skipping all of the missed notifications from Katie. He deleted them without hesitation, blocking her number a well as he didn't need his battery to be run down anymore. He noticed a few from Zane, the last one being-
   I love you. I'm sorry. I will be staying away for a while (with David) until you want me to come home.

*****

     Kam's P.O.V
     I had come home after having to drop off Zane at David's, knowing I wouldn't be able to handle Heath alone if he went after Zane again. I tried to urge him to go to the hospital to check out his injuries, but he didn't want to have to get Heath in trouble by explaining how he got the injuries. After trying to convince him to lie, I left. David had called a buddy of his who was a paramedic to check out Zane on the low, who said his nose was definitely busted as well as having two black eyes, and several slashes on his body, two on his chest that should have been stitched up, Zane still refused treatment, though David had got him to agree that he would be okay if they were glued with medical-grade glue as he had had to do that before when he played sports.
     I looked around the living room and patio, not seeing Heath anywhere. I saw that his bedroom door was cracked when I turned around, sighing a sense of relief. I went to the door, racking it slightly. "Heath?"
     There was silence in the pitch black room, though the patio was lit up. I opened the door, walking further into the room carefully. I stepped around his room with caution, afraid of accidentally kicking him if he had fallen down. I got to the patio, my heart sinking down as I swung the glass door open loudly. Heath barely moved, the sounds of his sobbing becoming apparent in the sounds of the night in the city. I took note of the nearly empty handle of Hennessey and two cigarette packets that were already empty, a third one on it's way out, and questioned how long he had been here for. He was only in his boxer-briefs with a tanktop, both drenched in sweat from the thick smog that was Los Angeles. His hair was wild and I could only see half of his arms, though I saw they had blood on them that had seeped through his shirt from the fight. I almost forgot I had been standing there in silence when Heath began to speak. "Is Zane okay?"
     "He's fine." I answered without hesitation, though my voice shaking. "Katie is okay, too."
     "I didn't ask that." He snapped. I watched him stand up from the seat he was in and wobble for a moment, catching himself from falling backwards. I lunged forward, making sure he would have me there if he fell backwards. He managed to climb and sit on the ledge and I immediately lunged towards him again, going to grab his shirt. He swatted my hand away, and for a brief moment, I could see how cut up his face was from Zane attempting to defend himself. "Fuck off!"
     "Heath, come on man!" I pleaded, outstretching my hands. "You need to step back, you could fall."
     "Your point?" He laughed, hiccuping t the end and turning towards the street. He outstretched his arms to the sides, making me hear my heart in my ears as he proceeded to sway front to back while he spoke. "She was supposed to be my soulmate, man. Like... I don't know. You ever meet someone that changes you more than you realize? Like I don't mean little things... Like, those too, I guess. I used to hate bananas in my cereal and now I can't eat cereal without them. I now do weekly facials while I watch Law and Order. I just... I haven't been sad in a while, bro. Like... I mean the sad I was in high school and college."
     "You'll be okay, dude." I tried to reassure him, though, I could hear how fake I sounded. "She was just one girl, man. You can find another one of those in a minute.:"
     "I don't want another girl!" Heath let out a noise that I was sure wasn't human as he controlled his sobbing long enough to finish what he was saying. "I want her! I don't want to go out and try and replace her! You don't... You don't replace your best friend! She was... I was supposed to grow old with her, Kameron!"
     I was so fixated on Heath's voice I didn't realize he was in the process of standing up. I blinked, bringing myself back to reality just in time to see Heath go to take a step off of the side of the ledge. I darted forward, grabbing onto the back if Heath's tank top forcefully enough that I heard the fabric brek. He fell back, falling ontop of me. I held onto his upper body in a tight grasp as he fought me, trying to get back up. I was thankful he stopped after a few moments, unsure of if I would be able to be stronger than him.
     Heath began to sob uncontrollably, his words incoherent as I hugged him tighter, rocking back and forth instinctively. I rubbed his back, trying to console him the same way my mother used to do for me. I felt myself begin to let out a few tears, the thought of me almost losing Heath hitting me like a truck. I whispered into his back as he clutched onto my arms tightly, white knuckling his grip, and letting out another painful scream. "We are getting you out of here tomorrow, man. I'll pack your shit tonight. Stay in my room. her stuff isn't in there. I'll pack your shit. You need to go home, man."