17

Heath's P.O.V
Amber had been driving me around for the last three hours, desperately looking the city for my truck. I tried to tell myself that everything was going to be okay and I was just overreacting, but I couldn't help the sinking feeling I had in the pit of my stomach that said I would never see my truck again. Amber reached over from the driver's seat, putting a hand on top of the one that was on my thigh, calming my shaking leg down in the process. "I know you're worried, but I told you we will find that fucking truck." She looked over briefly at me, her hand going to my face. She lightly scratched my beard, putting her hand back on the steering wheel. "Whoever took that truck was young... They never did this before."
I watched her as I spoke, admiring her facial structure as I spoke. "What makes you say that, detective?"
"They were stupid enough to have their faces caught on camera." Amber smirked, referring to the security footage from the parking garage that we gave to the police. "They were younger and stupid... Which means, I guarantee your truck is safe and sound. Plus... You may have scared them a little bit."
I looked at Amber with concern before I noticed her eyes were fixed upon something to the upper left side of the street as our car stopped at a red light. I followed her eyes, seeing a billboard with my truck and mine, Kam, and Zane's social media links. Underneath with matching, black, bold letters saying 'Have you seen me?' next to a blown up picture of my license plate. "Amber, how the fuck-"
"I told you, we will get that fucking truck back." She shrugged, proud of herself as she continued to drive.
We continued to drive for another hour, Amber letting me choose what to put on the radio in order to help me relax. Little did she know, her humming along to the radio was what really relaxed me. I felt a pain in my side from the way I was sitting and adjusted myself, mumbling. "Can we go to church tonight? I feel guilty, Am..."
Amber sighed, putting her hand on my thigh. She rubbed it lightly while she spoke. "Why don't you call Katie and see how everything is? I'm sure she would love to hear from you." I heard the tone change in her voice and I rolled over to face her. She gave me a look from the corner of her eye, one I knew all too well, and I began to mildly panic. "I know nothing happened with you, I just... You can't believe I don't know she's your ex, Heath."
My eyes widened as my mouth went dry. I shook my head rapidly, trying to rack my brain for any logical excuse I could think of to save my own ass. "Look, Ambie, I didn't..." I stopped myself, remembering the fight we had had a few weeks ago. "I fucked up. I'm sorry. I should have said it was her. To be honest with you, up until Liza's party... I didn't think I was ever going to physically see her again."
Amber laughed, shaking her head. "I'm not mad. I've known for longer than that." She shrugged, looking between myself and the road. "She isn't a small youtuber... I don't like social media, no, but she has done actual commercials and things, Heath. I know who she is. I didn't say anything because I was waiting to see how long it would take you."
I felt like I had betrayed every ounce of her trust, though I knew she wasn't even angry to begin with. "Look, nothing really did happen. I respect you too much."
"I trust you more than anything or anyone, baby, that's not a concern. And as for Katie... I don't think she is that bad of a person. I genuinely think we could be close friends." I watched her pull into a random gas station, parking in front of the store. She turned to me, grabbing my wallet from the center console and taking out my credit card. "You go inside there and get me some Twix and a coffee and we can call yourselves even."
I grabbed her gently by the side of her face, bringing her closer to my face. She smiled as I got closer and continued to do so as I kissed her lovingly. I let go of her lips, kissing from her right cheek down to the side of her neck. She giggled, pushing me off only to receive another quick kiss by me before exiting the car. I walked towards the front of the store, nodding my head in acknowledgement to the teenaged cashier.
I went to the back of the store, making both Amber and myself a coffee. I placed two spoonfuls of sugar and milk into hers, just how she liked it, before putting the lids back on the cups. I walked over to the checkout booth, placing the cups on the counter. I scanned the front section underneath the counter for a Twix, grabbing two of them for her along with a pack of the new caramel M&M's and Reese's fir myself. The cashier began to check me out, not making eye contact with me as he boredly punched in codes to his old fashioned register. I looked over his shoulder, looking at the cigarettes. "Can I also grab some Marlboro Gold 100's?"
The cashier moved to the cigarettes, revealing a television that was set up as their security system. My eyes twitched to the split screen, specifically the upper right hand corner of the screen. I jutted my head forward, adjusting my eyes to make sure what I was seeing is correct. "Fifteen thirty-three, man."
I quickly swiped my card, my eyes barely moving from the television. The cashier looked at me, his eyes annoyed with my presence as he stood back in front of the television to make me stop. I frowned, punching in my credit card's pin number as he bagged the candy. I grabbed the coffee, putting my cigarettes in my front, right pocket, and put the ag around my left wrist. I walked out quickly not bothering to grab a receipt, and rushed towards Amber's car. I saw she was missing, causing me to instantly panic.
I ran to the back of the store where that security camera I had been so fixated on was placed. The moment I rounded the bend, I nearly crashed into Amber. She stood with her hands on her hips shaking her head in anger. "I swore I saw it from the street, but I hoped I was wrong... You grab my stuff?"
I looked ahead in disbelief, the hollowed out shell of what Big Red used to be standing before me. The hubcaps and exhaust were clearly ripped off poorly. The side mirrors as well as the inside seats were ripped out. The toolbox that was attached to the bed was also missing, making me thankful that I took my dad's advice and never kept anything in there when the truck wasn't being used. "How... How the hell did you see it?"
"When I was thinking if stabbing you in your big pumpkin head, I saw it behind you. I just thought I was seeing shit because I was hungry." Amber shrugged, her face glowing with pride that she attempted to hide. "I told you we would find the damn thing, pops."
I pulled her into a hug, laughing and feeling her kiss the front of my neck before burying her head into my chest and holding onto my waist tightly. I looked up at the sky, a bright smile shining across my face as a beam of light appeared to be shining through the dusty grey clouds above us. I had the feeling of being watched, but in a protective way, as I slowly rocked Amber back and forth in my hug. I mouthed up to the sky 'thank you', knowing exactly who really helped us find my truck.