79

"Why the fuck did your shoes look like you danced in blood?" I frowned, playing with Heath's hair as he laid on my chest in his bed.
     "She worse then while she... I don't know how or why she did it, really. She kept Lexi's blood... She had it in the fridge and would drink and..." Heath shook his head, gagging slightly. "The smell of it literally smelled like... Like..."
     "Like burning rubber. When it dries, it goes from metal to plastic. Believe me, I know." Heath tilted his head up at me and I smiled lightly. He turned to face me fully, wrapping his arms around my waist tighter a he swung a leg over both of mine. I twirled a piece of hair on the back of his head while I spoke softly. "It's been a week, Heath. You're going to therapy on Monday. You're going to be fine. You're stronger than I was."
     Heath didn't say anything, which said enough, before he blinked twice. He turned his head in the other direction as I felt him slow his breathing down, signaling he was asleep. As I continued to play with the back of his hair, I saw small indents on the back of his neck that were dark red and scabbing over. I tilted my head, putting my hand up to them and placing my finger tips on the lightly. My chest tightened as I realized they were fingernail dents.
     I looked at the ceiling, trying to hold onto my tears until I heard Heath snoring. After a few minutes, he began to make small noises. Soon enough, it turned into his full-blown sleep apnea. I smiled to myself before attempting to squirm out of the bed, only to move my legs from under him when he sprang up. His eyes were wide as his breathing was that of if he had finished an uphill sprint. I didn't say anything as I put my hands on his chest to calm his breathing down.
     Heath laid on his side grabbing onto my hands as he pulled me close to spook him. I kissed the back of his shoulders before throwing the blanket over us. I kissed the back of Heath's neck, feeling his cuts graze my lips. I felt my stomach drop even lower when Heath spoke in a nearly inaudible tone before drifting back to sleep. "Don't leave me. Please, don't leave me. I don't want the nightmares to come back."
     Not entirely knowing what he meant, I didn't want to risk it. So I proceeded to hold Heath even tighter and fall asleep breathing in the scent of his freshly washed black and white baseball tee.