30

After paint balling, I walked into the boy's apartment. I felt a sigh of relief wash over me as there was no sign of Heath anywhere to be found. Gabbie hugged me goodbye, saying she would see me at the house before leaving, knowing I wanted to talk to Zane alone. Kam headed to the kitchen, claiming to begin dinner as I followed Zane to his room.
Zane rubbed he back of his neck as I closed the door behind me, leaning on the doorknob. He took of his shirt as I spoke, causing me to look away as I felt a rush of memories begin to flood me. "Can you explain to me why Heath was so on edge?"
He threw on his red Vine hoodie and proceeded to grab a large, black, Nike hoodie with a white Nike symbol on the front. He tossed it towards me and I stared at him until he turned his back towards me again. I took my stained shirt off, slipping into his hoodie as he spoke. "History repeats itself. I can't say much more than that. If you want to know, talk to him yourself."
I let out an annoyed huff of breath, opening the door and walking out. Zane ran after me, realizing I left him. Kam gave me a look, laughing slightly. "You know where Heath ran off to?"
"I think. I just hope I'm wrong."

*****

I walked into a hole in the wall style bar, regretting it instantly. The place wreaked of smoke, though I couldn't see anyone actually smoking. The place has an old, western theme though it looked as if I was in a 90's gang movie about to be jumped.
I walked deeper into the dimly lit bar, the music becoming louder the closer I got to the back. I felt my chest grow tight, though I assumed it was my mild case of asthma flaring up. There was a few people playing pool, mainly old, skeevey men who were eyeing me. There was three people at the bar as well, a couple who seemed to have just met and a lonesome boy in a black snapback and white button-up.
I sat down next to him, looking at his tired expression as he stared at a half empty glass of whiskey that laid in front of him. He didn't look up as he had his elbow resting on the table, his forehead in the palm of his hand. "Why am I not surprised you were the only one who knew where I went?"
I smiled, leaning over the bar to look at the middle-aged, female bartender. Her brown hair was tossed over her shoulder, slightly frizzy. A faded, small chest tattoo was peaking out of her black t-shirt on the top of her right breast. "Hey, a jack and coke and a henny and Sprite, please?"
She smiled and said they would be coming right up. She proceeded to make and serve the drinks to us as I spoke. Heath still refused to meet my gaze. "So... I don't want an apology. I just want you to be honest with me... What happened with you and Amber? Are you two still together?"
He shook his head aimlessly, quickly, as he finished his prior drink before starting on the new one. "Everything is fine, we are still together... She
... Stuff happened."
"You can probably talk to me about this stuff easier than anyone else." I took a sip of my drink, elbowing Heath lightly. "Come on, tell me. I'm not gonna be a bitch about it."
"I know... I'm sorry, I just... I haven't even fully processed it yet." Heath shook his head, rubbing his forehead with his left hand. "She kept a secret from me that wasn't just hers to keep."
"Did... Did she cheat?" Heath shook his head, no, quickly. "Then what?"
"She was pregnant." Heath choked out, looking at me.
"Was?" My throat felt like it was beginning to swell as I just barely was able to get out an audible word.
Heath's eyes glazed over as he began to explain what happened. "She got an abortion because she didn't know how to tell me. I mean... Truthfully, I would have suggested abortion. I'm not fit for parenthood yet. But..."
"You would have at least liked the option to decide with her." Regret hit me like a freight train as I saw the first glimmer of hope Heath had stared at me with in the last year, his glassy eyes magnifying it. I felt myself tearing and sniffles, attempting to hide it as I wiped my tear ducts. "I get it. That's shitty, I'm sorry."
"It just would have been nice to know, like... I made someone. I made a person! Now they're nothing but a sack of dying cells in some Los Angeles clinic." Heath's throat crack as tears began to lightly leave his eyes. My heart begin to tear out of my chest as I realized this would have been his reaction to me. Heath shook his head. "I'm sorry... You and I promised to be better to each other and I ripped you apart worse than I ever have in three years in three minutes. I'm sorry."
"She wanted to protect you, Heath. She loves you more than you realize and I just... She did it because she thought it was the right thing." I shook my head, sighing. I spoke again before he could protest. "You know what's close to here?" I smirked, ignoring his apology.
"Chevy's Chimichanga's?" Heath grinned wildly, wiping away his tears.
I wiped away the rest of mine, proceeding to take my entire drink like a shot, much to Heath's horror. I set down money for our drinks, refusing to let him pay. I stood up, pushing my regret down as I insisted on making things right for a change. "Lets go. My treat... For old time's sake."
"I would like that. Thank you." He smiled lightly. "I'm happy I have you at least. She likes you a lot you know, Amber. She thinks you're fun... She's only slightly bothered by you being my ex."
"You said it yourself, I'm a raging slut." I shrugged, smiling as I watch Heath give me an angered look before rolling his eyes and following me out.