78

As I watched her hands readjust on the steering wheel, I slowly slipped into my belongings, grabbing my pepper spray. Our eyes stayed locked with each other as the sound of our heartbeats began to engulf the horrifying silence in the car. My bottom jaw began to shake as I knew I was about to have to act quick with little to no preparation. Swinging the car to a halt, I fell onto my right side, my head knocking hard against the glass of the window. Before I could blink, I saw Christiana attempt to lunch at me from the front seat. I shot my arm out in front of me, releasing the pepper spray.
Not realizing how quickly the enclosed vehicle would fill up with the fumes, I fumbled for the door handle. I unlatched my seatbelt, stumbling onto my hands and knees on the sidewalk. My eyes and lungs burnt, a harsh feeling of dryness swelling inside my chest. Without another moment of hesitation, I went to the trunk of the car to see what was inside. Before I could attempt to slam on it, Christiana wobbled out of the car.
She was still coughing, her eyes barely visible as the red, puffy rings prevented her from seeing. She stuck her arms out in front of her and that's when I noticed a small switchblade in her left fist. As she stumbled, she began to murmur a series of threats. Though, I couldn't help but realize her shirt was covered in frozen yogurt. I saw the walnuts that David had requested sticking to her shirt, causing me to grow cautious as the even touch of them causes a rash on my arms. Without realizing, I spoke out loud. "David really is trying to kill us at every turn."
Christiana swung her blade at me, missing me by a mere few inches. Looking in a state of panic for the lot of police that should have been here, I dove to the left side of Christiana. Whipping around, I lunged for the driver's door to grab the keys. Before I could reach them, I saw her reflection in the side mirror, arm over her head. I backed away, thankfully having her miss my spine as she caught the paneling of her door instead. She slammed the door in a fit of rage, her eyes now slightly opening to reveal very irritated slits.
Her teeth clenched as she growled, like a toddler hanging a temper tantrum, as she went to check me again. Grabbing her wrist with my left hand, I used my grip as leverage to knee her in the stomach. She doubled over, the blade flying out of her hands. My kneecap began to sting as I felt the belt of her jeans had scratched me, a warm sensation running underneath my pants from my blood. I swung my right fist at her jaw, connecting instantly. Christiana fell to the ground when I heard the sound of siren rounding the bend from both ends of the street.
I stumbled backwards, hands in the air above my head, as I kicked the blade behind me so she couldn't reach for it. Christiana looked up at me as she held her bleeding jaw in one hand. She staggered up from her knees, taking one step before the sound of clicking filled the street. "Police! Hands above your head, now!"
I kept my eyes on the driver's seat, looking at the keys, before looking back at Christiana. She began to slowly raise her arms, her middle finger extending up as she refused to break eye contact with me. As a darker police man grabbed her arms, putting her in handcuffs, my feet lifted off the ground. I don't remember running to the keys, but I knew within seconds I was throwing the trunk up to see nothing but a pair of bloody cowboy boots inside. My knees shook, the weight of my body becoming too much for me. I spun around as I let out a noise that I don't believe actually came from my throat, but rather from the actual piece of my soul I felt being burned away. Landing on my knees, my hands broke my fall as I began to rock back and forth sobbing.
I felt a pair of hands grab onto my shoulders, lifting me up, and wrapping tightly around my waist. The smell of burning rubber and dirt was soon stuck in my nose before I smelt the faint smell of the worst cologne that Walgreens had to offer. I pulled away slightly, cupping Heath's face in my hands. Before I could attempt to speak, he spoke quickly. "I was in her place. She forgot to tie my wrists. I'm safe." Heath kissed he side of my mouth, still speaking. "I'm safe. Stop crying, baby. I'm safe."
"I'm not crying because I'm shocked, I'm crying because I've never been so happy to hear your voice in my life." I watched as Heath's eyes began to swell, burying his face in the crook of my neck. I wrapped my arms around his upper body, my head above his as I began to kiss the top of his messy hair repeatedly. Looking forward I blinked hard to release a few tears, only to see Amber smiling as she held hands with Will next to a few officers who smiled on at us. I mouthed a thank you as she blew me a kiss, Will wrapping an arm tightly around her shoulders and smiling down proudly at her.