2

Third Person P.O.V. One Day After the Engagement
     Cori was informed by Kam the next morning that Heath was taking an Uber to her house from the airport. Heath had not protested at all, though he made sure to tell his mom to make sure no one else was home when he came over. Cori understood, knowing her son never liked to show any emotions in front of Shane or Mark for fear of judgement. Heath in entirety had appeared numb, staying in a catatonic state throughout the night and into the morning. Upon exiting Kam's car, he immediately went up to Heath. He cupped his face in his hands, staring at him, and being at a loss for words. He sighed quickly, pulling him into tight embrace and patting his back a few times. When he broke away, he saw the first glimpse of life that he could recognize in Heath's eyes when he muttered the phrase. "Thank you, Kam."
     Heath took his seat in the very back corner of the plane, thanking Kam silently for ensuring he had a window seat. He stared out the window for the duration of the flight, attempting to keep his mind from wandering about what would happen if he just opened the window while they were in flight. His internal monologue looked as though someone was stabbing him from the inside out, worrying the younger girl and mother sitting next to him as they tried to ignore it. Though this wasn't off from how he was actually feeling.
  How could she do this to me? She looked me in the eyes and she told me that she had nothing left to tell me. She slept in my bed every single night and she just... We were supposed to be happy. Did it ever cross her mind that maybe, just maybe, if she would have told me, I would have understood? I mean granted, I don't really like the image of Zane railing her from behind, but I have... I just... I would have found a way to forgive her if she was upfront with me. I think so, anyway. Honestly couldn't be worse than finding out at your fucking engagement party, right?
     Very seriously, how could she even... I just... I told her things I never told anyone. I'm not even sure if she... No, she cared. I know she cared. But did she understand the effect she had on me and used it to her advantage? Did she know that after her suicide attempt that I... That I would never be able to leave her? Was that for attention because she knew how serious my on depression was at one point? No... No, no, no, no, no. Katie wasn't like that... I mean, I think she isn't like that anyway. Regardless... It isn't dramatic and it's not romantic. I will legitimately never be able to love another girl again the way I loved her. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe I needed this in order to find real love, but I... No. This is... This was real love. I know it was. I can't deny... I have ever felt so broken and used and I just... I don't have a reason to be here. I really don't. I won't be able to open up to another person the way I opened up to her. I mean...
     I think we would have been happy... I know we would have been. We really could have been fucking happy. I don't understand where her mind went and why hiding things from me was her only option. Was I that terrifying? Was I a mfucking monstr? ... Did I remind her of Nathan?  I couldn't have... I never laid a hand on her. I mean... There were a few times I wanted to slap the shit out of he, but I would rather eat my own hand then to lay them on a female, especially Katie for that matter. But maybe... I don't know. We were rough in bed. She always consented to everything though, like... No. No, this isn't about me at all. This is about the fact that she was la liar from the get-go and she only just got caught. Maybe everything else was a lie too... No. No one could fake the shit she told me... Could they?
     I just... We had everything planned out, I thought. I was going to surprise her with this condo I had just found about a block away from downtown. Kam had been helping me the last few weeks to finalize the deal and everything, making sure Katie had absolutely no idea about it because I was going to take her there after the party. I acted surprised when she said she wanted to move in with me, but truth be told I had known for a while. She was awful at hiding things from me.... Or I thought she was, I guess.