Chapter Twenty Eight

I don't own Fire Emblem.

...

Her white tips, though previously were only at the bottom of her chest, now crawled up to her neckline. It now took up half of her hair, which was now half black and half white.

Diana grabbed her hair and stared at it, her eyes widening in shock.

Something told her that she wasn't just having a weird hair day.

...

Even though Diana was visibly avoiding them, they did notice the change in her hair color. The two parents were always perspective about her, even before they knew that she was their daughter. Even though the restrictions that they had placed on her still required her to be near them, she still seemed to be evading their questions about her actions the day before.

When they had questioned Lucina about it, the girl only sighed.

"If you're talking about her actions the day before, I find it strange as well. Diana has always been the most level headed one in our group," Lucina admitted. "But I've learned that it's best not to pry when she's like this. It'll only cause us more trouble."

Chrom exchanged a look with his wife, who shrugged.

"What about her hair?" Robin asked. "Did she just change it out of the blue?"

Lucina bit her lip. "In all honesty, Mother, I have yet to find out that mystery. Diana's hair has been an extraordinary feature to her for many years. As you can tell, she inherited it from neither of you, and the closest resemblance is the white parts of her hair."

Setting down Falchion, which she had been cleaning, the princess looked at them straight in the eye. "But there's a strange thing about her hair that doctors and scholars have been trying to solve since she was born."

"And that is?" Chrom pressed, fingers automatically lacing with Robin's as if anticipating something huge. Robin gave her husband an affectionate smile. Lucina smiled lightly before continuing.

"No matter how much her hair would be cut, even if the white parts of her hair are completely cut off, they would reappear the next day, not necessarily in the same length, but there altogether."

Robin's brow furrowed. "That's strange. Did you consult Diana about this?"

"Yes, actually. At first, Morgan and I both thought that she had preferred white tips to her hair, so she had enchanted them back, but Diana denied it. To confirm it, a few months later, after she had cut her hair and gone to bed, I watched her overnight with her permission to see what would happen." Lucina sighed. "That memory alone amazes me still today."

"What happened?"

Lucina picked up Falchion again and leaned it against a wall. "It was as if the white refused to be apart from her. At some point during the night, I saw her hair change. It was as if ink was seeping into paper, only with contrasting colors. The white flowed back into the hair, crawling up her curls until it was as clear as day again."

Chrom blinked, running a hand through his blue hair. "And what did Diana say about this?"

Lucina's eyes fell to her hands. "She looked a bit surprised, and a little torn. Admittedly, I still don't understand her, not to this day."

Robin wondered if it was a side effect of her powers, or something else that they had not uncovered about their daughter. "Is there anything...else to show how this happened?"

Lucina's eyes lifted thoughtfully. "Actually, now that I think of it, Mother, there was something peculiar that I've noticed."

"Do tell."