The Second Chance | 12

I don't own Fire Emblem.

...

Then she looked at Chrom staring at her, followed his eyes, and her blood ran cold.

Exactly what glove had been slipped off during the battle? She looked at her left hand, and her glove was still there. Then she looked to the right, and it was bare.

Exposing the Brand of the Exalt.

...

"Gods."

Margaret stared at Diana as she recounted what had happened in the battle the night before. It was currently around 9 in the morning, and many of the bandits had been captured and now awaited their trial in the dungeons.

It had only been an hour since the palace had calmed down, however - since they got back from the fight to the palace, it had awoken many people because of the shouts, a couple skirmishes from fighting bandits, and the thunderous shrieking of Alexandra, demanding why she was woken up at "such an undignified time for a lady".

Diana had barely been able to catch a few hours of sleep before Margaret burst into her chambers, demanding to know why the castle was in such a hurry and rush.

(Somehow she knew Diana had something to do with it. By now Diana wasn't even surprised anymore.)

Diana brushed her left hand against her brand, unable to have the strength to find a substitute glove in the meantime. She had immediately crashed into slumber the second she was able, unable to do anything else or even summon a glove. During the aftermath of the fight, Chrom was (luckily) pulled away by Frederick to help tie up the bandits, so she was spared the questions and shock. During the whole trip back to the front lines, she hid her brand underneath her cloak, using her left hand to steer her steed.

She did all of this while avoiding Chrom's stare from behind her. It had been practically stabbing her in the back.

"My," Margaret leaned back on her chair, setting down her teacup. "Many things...have been happening, huh? So the contest...was a ruse?"

Diana bit her lip. " Yes. I'm sorry for keeping secrets."

"Nonsense." Margaret shook her head. "You've always had your reasons."

There was a slight pause.

"Did you speak to Chrom?"

Diana shifted uncomfortably as she took a long sip from her own tea, mainly to avoid answering. "I...no," she said simply, "I didn't."

Margaret stared at her in disbelief. "Why not? I mean, you're this close to triggering his memories! After this, everyone's memories will come back!"

"Yes, but..." she sighed. "He saw my brand, Margaret. This time without Lucina or I to guide him in the answer. Morgan told me he's dropping clues and he's extremely close to remembering, and I've been leaving unusual messages for him to decipher on his own...but seeing the Brand of the Exalt on my hand is probably the biggest slap in the face for him for the past two weeks. I...for once I need to take it slow. I need to let him digest his shock before I explain everything to him."

"Do you think his memories will come back too?" Margaret asked tentatively, looking at Diana curiously. "It's quite possible."

"Well, yes..." Diana nodded, leaning back on her chair. "But it will depend on how much he's considering the truth now. Morgan told me he was in serious conflict with himself on the topic if I was his sister or not, before he was able to remember. It...just happened spontaneously as well. I'm not sure if Chrom will be able to receive his memories at all."