The Second Chance | 5

I don't own Fire Emblem.

...

"Actually...I don't know if you'll ever meet her."

Her eyes widened. "What? Why?"

His hands laced together, tightening. "Half a year ago, my sister, her boyfriend, our cousin, and his girlfriend, all disappeared. They vanished one morning, without a note, or anything to tell us where they were. They didn't even say goodbye...they were just gone."

...

"Your Lady in Waiting is an interesting one."

Margaret set down her teacup. "Pardon?"

"Your Lady in Waiting." Lissa repeated, tracing the outline of her teacup with her index figure. "She seems to be quite skilled, even as a bodyguard. Tell me, what kind of offense does she use?"

Margaret pursed her lips, leaning back. "She's a sorceress, but instead of using tomes, the magic is fused into her blood."

Lissa's eyes widened, and she whistled. "Woaaaaah. That seems so cool! How do you know her?"

She swallowed tightly. "I was an old friend of hers," Margaret said, twisting the truth carefully. "We used to be good friends and only came back in contact about a few months ago. She needed a job, and I needed a new protector and maid."

"Ah." Lissa nodded, pausing to sip her tea. She set down her cup with a thoughtful look that had Margaret puzzled.

"Is something wrong, Lady Lissa?"

"Nothing," Lissa murmured. "It's just...I feel like I've seen her somewhere before."

The heiress swallowed tightly again, wondering if she should take matters into her own hands or not. "Do you..."

"It's a weird feeling ya know?" Lissa chirped. "Like I've talked, chatted, even bonded with her once in my life! But I clearly don't remember anything about her. It's so weird."

"...really..." Margaret chuckled, a little awkwardly in her position.

Lissa was silent for a few more minutes. "It's probably my imagination," she laughed. "Anyway, you should get ready for the ball. It starts in a few hours."

Icy blue eyes snapped up in relief. "Yes, I suppose I should start getting ready," Margaret smiled. "It was great seeing you again, Lady Lissa."

"You too! I hope we have more time to talk later!"

...

"Which color do you want your gown to be?"

"Just pick a gown so we can get over this, please," Margaret grumbled under her breath, slumping against the back of her bed's headboard. "It's barely been one day and honest to Naga I already feel dead inside."

Diana softly smiled, hands on her hips near the closet. "We have to deal with it, Margaret. It's too late to turn back now. So choose one so I can pull it out of your closet, please."

"I know," Margaret grumbled. "But I'm already so tired. There's already a woman that sounds exactly like me when I was younger. I now feel your pain."

"Two years late," Diana joked, but her movements remained sluggish and slow as she turned back to the clothes in Margaret's closet.

It didn't slip by Margaret's eye. "What's wrong with you? Are you okay?"

Her hand, which had started to grip the handle of the closet door, dropped to her side. Sighing, Diana looked up, looking uncomfortable. "I ran into Morgan while you were at the meeting."