Dark Heart | 5

I don't own Fire Emblem.

My favorite part about writing this chapter is writing Acadia's thoughts. Like, stan silent Queen Acadia of Sass.

...

Diana took a deep breath. "Mother. Until I know everything that's going on in this, I want you to promise me that you'll keep quiet about this and help me figure it out."

Robin's eyes widened in alarm, but she squeezed Diana's hand. "Of course. Tell me everything."

Another deep breath. Diana didn't know where to begin, but she decided to tell her everything that had been making her worry for the past twenty four hours. "It started with Gaius, you see."

...

"...I see." Robin sighed. "That explains your actions throughout the day."

Nearly half an hour later, Diana was slumped on her bed with a stressed out look on her face. "And what do you think I should do about this, Mother? Please tell me."

Robin was quiet for a minute, a hand on her chin. "...hm. I think we should, for now, keep this between us until we find out more about what the hell is going on."

Diana propped herself up on her elbows. "About which one? Gaius, the other sorceress, or the assassination attempt?"

"...all of it." Robin smiled when she saw Diana's panicked look. "No, honey, listen to me first. About Gauis's weird actions...well, I won't lie to you and say that it's not strange, but why don't we look into it together to see if there's any better conclusions before we say anything? I think that'll be better, hm?"

Diana nodded. "Yeah, I think you're right."

"I also think you should stay away from Gaius for the meantime. If you need to know anything, I'll go and talk to him myself, okay?"

"Yes, Mother."

"In regards to the assassination attempt..." Robin frowned. "Well, your father is going to flip. And that's the exact reason why we shouldn't tell him or anyone else at the moment - Chrom's going to send the entire militia out to find the assassin, and you know it."

"He wouldn't-" Diana flashed back to the Creatia incident and a couple more memories from her childhood. "...he would."

"Exactly. And with that other sorceress on that assassin's side, it'll be more dangerous and complicated to search for him." Robin paused. "And that brings us to the other sorceress...that I think we shouldn't tell anyone that fact the most for now, especially the council. Everyone's going to get nervous knowing there's a sorceress outside of yourself, and Macentos especially wouldn't want to just sit around."

Diana nodded. "That...surprisingly makes sense."

"I'm the Grandmaster Tactician, Ylisse's Queen, and your mother. I have to make sense most of the time." Robin brushed a lock of Diana's hair out of her face and tucked it behind her ear. "We'll figure it out together and when there's more information we'll reveal it to everyone. But honey, if there's ever a mysterious note telling you to come somewhere alone at midnight, you best come to me at least first."

Diana smiled weakly at that, nudging herself backward in shame. "I'll have to admit, that mistake is going to haunt me for ages."

Robin gave her daughter a look. "It's a miracle that you didn't get hurt this time. Remember, you're powerful but you have weaknesses, Diana. Nobody in this land is all-powerful in anyway. Should someone try to take your life and succeed..." Robin's face seemed to turn ashen in the candlelight. "...I don't know if your Father and I could bear that."