The Second Chance | 11

I don't own Fire Emblem.

...

"Ah." Diana doubted that  Margaret would buy that lie, but at the same time, she wasn't the type  of person to ask questions either. "Of course."

Lissa sighed and stood up. "I hope that this plan works."

Diana brushed off her white skirts as she got up as well. "So do I, Princess Lissa. So do I."

...

Margaret watched Diana silently as the young girl weaved Margaret's dark hair into a quick side braid. All morning since Diana had helped her prepare for today's activities (which was an outing with Chrom, as well as a little meeting for tea with Faye, who was surprisingly very nice despite her boisterous attitude), they hadn't spoken a word to each other. It was extremely surprising since Diana was usually a nice chatter and they would have occasional banter every morning when she helped Margaret prepare for the day.

But the secret princess hadn't even said a single word.

Margaret didn't prompt her to speak. The last time they had a full one on one conversation was when Diana joyfully explained how Morgan had regained his memories. Margaret was obviously very pleased for her friend, but had noticed a slight sad glimmer in her eye as she talked about her next person.

Now, Margaret wasn't a very nosy person. Years ago she was a cold being who only cared about politics and manners, but after being reshaped she had become softer and more caring. Diana, as one of her best friends, had brought up a deep concern in her mind, but Margaret decided not to talk about it, as the sorceress seemed to be extremely stubborn in not talking.

But even she couldn't resist asking. "You're okay, right?"

Diana's fingers paused for a moment before they moved again. "Of course."

"Doesn't seem like it, but I won't press," she promised.

A look of relief flashed on Diana's face, and she finished with the braid.

Before she could take a step back, Margaret spoke again. "Hey. Be careful, okay?"

The sorceress froze.

"I don't know how or what you're doing, but whatever it is, don't die again, okay?" Margaret chided. "You may be a sorceress, but don't overbear yourself. You're only human, you know?"

Diana started to move again, and a small smile spread on her face as she went to get some powder for Margaret's face. "Yeah...I know."

"I have a feeling something's going to happen tonight," Margaret confessed, toying with her braid. "But at the same time, I don't want to know for your sake. But make sure you know what you're doing."

"Oh please," her friend giggled as she dusted Margaret's face with powder. "I've known what I've been doing since I got here...I think."

"That's what I'm worried about."

Diana's melodic laughter rung out into the air. "All right, all right. I promise I'll be careful."

"Good." Margaret let out a laugh of her own. "Remember that."

...

"Something wrong, Father?"

Chrom looked up from where he was seated to see Morgan. His son had a bunch of papers tucked underneath his arm, his head tilted slightly. There was a gleam in his eye, one that Chrom had noticed appeared all day yesterday, that he couldn't figure out.