Chapter Thirty Eight

I don't own Fire Emblem.

TW: Suicide.

Listen to the first half of this chapter with ID (Sorrow). Because it makes everything 10x more angsty.

PEACE!

...

"I'm sorry. I'm doing what's best." She said simply. "Father. No matter what, I need you to do this one request for me, right now. Do not refuse. The world will be impacted on this one decision you make."

Chrom's eyes widened. "What is it?" There was a momentary pause. Diana could hear Naga speaking at the back of her head, comforting words flowing her mind because of it. Courage struck her chest, and the tattoo screamed out pain, trying to stop her, but she forced the words out of her throat.

"Raise Falchion and kill me."

...

As a prince of Ylisse, Chrom had experienced many things before. He had experience the tyranny his father ruled in. He had fought many battles. He watched his beloved sister sacrifice herself for her people. He killed Gangrel, the Mad King. He had faced off different hordes of monsters, angry women, exasperating councilors who won't take no for an answer, a damn dragon that was the end of the humanity, and so much more.

But never, ever, had he felt so utterly horrified, as he heard his daughter's request in front of him.

"Raise Falchion and kill me."

At first, Chrom couldn't register the words into his brain. He thought, for a half dazed moment, that he was hallucinating and hearing things through his pain. But Diana looked at him straight in the eye, squeezed his arms, and repeated it.

"Father. I want you to use Falchion and kill me."

He found himself shaking his head, faster and faster. "What?! No. I will not."

Diana's expression morphed into one of sadness. "Father, you have to."

"Why?!" His voice cracked in the middle of his sentence, and he used her arms to steady herself. "Why do you need to die?! I don't understand!"

Lucina sounded just as stricken when she spoke from behind him. "Diana, what are you saying?"

"Don't!" Morgan cried. "Don't do it, Father!"

"Diana," Robin warned. "I don't think you want us to do this."

Diana drew a shaky breath. "I have to. It's the only way to secure the future of our people. Please, do it for the sake of Ylisse!"

"NO!" Chrom's voice was louder now. Pain etched in his muscles as he shook her, but he ignored it. "I don't know what you're implying, but I don't like it. You're not going to die today, Diana!"

The princess sighed. "This isn't up for debate! We've got only one option. Only a holy blade blessed with Naga's power can do it right. You have to do it, Father!"

"Why do you need to die?!"

Diana bit her lip, looking down. "In truth...I was still hiding some things from you all. Remember what Naga said about the soul of Grima, how a piece of it was placed in a heart of a human?"

Robin stifled a gasp. "It...it was you. You have Grima's soul in you."

"I-I do." Tears tricked down her cheeks, but she didn't bother to wipe them. "In that case, you have to kill me. It will exterminate the soul of Grima, and you will truly stand a chance."

"I CAN'T!" Chrom shouted. "There must be another way. There has to be another way!"

For a second, Diana froze for a moment.