Twisted Fates | 15

I don't own Fire Emblem.

...

The flower she had pinned to her chest broke into pieces, the petals scattering among with them. Blood splattered everywhere. The life faded out of Scarlet's eyes as the warrior fell down.

Corrin's eyes widened in horror.

"SCARLET!"

...

Since her childhood, Corrin was never sure on the fact if she ever was making the right choices. The decisions she made were followed with doubts, made up scenarios in her head thinking on how it could have worked better, and so much more.

At night, whenever she couldn't sleep, she would stay up and just sit in the darkness, pondering over the different outcomes of the choices she made. Sometimes it was of her mother's death, if she had jumped in front of Mikoto in time from the attacker. Sometimes it was about Izana's death in Izumo, wondering if there was any chances to save him. Other times it was about if she had chosen to fight against Nohr or Hoshido, but she couldn't peer on how either choice would result to.

Her nightmares didn't help. Sometimes she would have dreams of her allying up with Nohr, and the result of that choice was bloody, so bloody that she had woken up in cold sweat and unable to move. Another time, she dreamed of a moment in which she had chosen Hoshido, which wasn't much better than her nightmare about Nohr.

Every single step of the way, no matter how many times she reassured himself or someone else did, she was always unsure. She was doubtful of her choices, worried for the answers she chose, but since she had chosen to try and unite both Nohr and Hoshido, everything had worked out somewhat fine, or just okay. She was content with all of the paths she had decided to take, and happy with the decisions she had made.

Up until now.

She could only stare at Scarlet's body in horror as they landed in Valla. The warrior's body landed with a large thump on the rocky lands of Valla, and Corrin crashed similarly on the ground, her body too numb from shock to make any motion of landing safely on her feet like last time.

Corrin's entire body ached, but she crawled up to where Scarlet lay, her eyes already brimming with tears. Her vision was blurry, but she could clearly see the pool of blood underneath the warrior. "Scarlet?"

Of course, she didn't move. Corrin sent a shaking hand toward Scarlet. The body was still warm, but it was obvious that Scarlet was dead.

"No..." she murmured. Her whole body was shaking now.

What the hell was she going to say to Ryoma?

Corrin's body shook with her sobs. "Please answer me! Scarlet!"

A part of her brain told her that she was in denial. And Corrin wanted to believe in that.

Her brother had put faith in her, and she had just let him down.

Most importantly, an ally, a friend, someone who believed in her, was dead.

She had failed.

Failed.

Failed.

And there was no going back now. Not when a life was gone.

"You can't die now," Corrin choked on her tears, which dropped down onto Scarlet's body and stained her red armor. "Please...I'm sorry."

Of course, there wasn't a response. Corrin withdrew her hand, staring at it in horror. It was stained in Scarlet's blood, from the shot that was meant to kill Corrin.