Play By The Rules

I don't own Fire Emblem.

...kind of inspired by the movie Brave. Bit of a miniature shenanigan story. Enjoy!

...

Sometimes (many times), Chrom wanted to strangle Macentos, but this time he wanted to throw him off a cliff. Sure, that man was quite excellent with economic and political issues, but Chrom was thinking about banning him from doing anything other than that. Especially when his ideas involved his daughter.

When Macentos sponsors an impromptu suitor contest for Diana, the royal family has no choice but to let it pass by. But for Diana, she always finds a way around, especially with a Grandmaster Tactician as her mother.

No matter how strange or...weird it is. Or how fair it is.

Meanwhile, Alina has a field day, Macentos has a conniption, and as for Margaret...well, this will be a story she'll tell her children someday.

...

There was a saying, Diana recalled, that you could hear a pin drop in a silent room. She wondered if it applied to the situation set right in front of her, so she pulled a small pin out of her hair and tossed it lightly in front of her.

The pin clattered loudly, the sound of the steel hitting the stone echoing in the halls.

Diana sighed. She couldn't blame her family for being stunned to silence at the newly delivered news. After all, she was too.

Alina, who had decided to be the poor soul that was the messenger, stared at the family sheepishly. "...your Majesties?"

Chrom found himself unable to speak, so Robin did it for him. "...Alina, this...is this real?"

"I wouldn't dare bring false information, although I do wish this once that it were so." Alina clutched her papers, an irritated look on her face. "I'm so, so sorry."

Morgan looked undeniably pissed. "Bastard."

"...Mother, Father," Lucina said, crossing her arms, "if you won't kill Macentos, I will."

"Luci!" Diana scolded, although her lips were twitching. As tempting as that idea was, Diana didn't want anyone to die today. They had a bigger mess on their hands.

"How..." Chrom finally croaked out. "How did this even start?"

Alina groaned. "Don't even make me begin. This entire situation started with a simple activities between a group of men in Southtown. Apparently they were talking about Lady Diana, your Majesties, and talking about which one of them was worthy to ask her hand for marriage. And before you knew, it, suddenly an entire competition was formed. It was supposed to be some kind of jest at Ylisse, a lighthearted joke, in a sense."

"And then it turned into a complete full blown Ylissean event after Macentos heard about it," Robin finished with a weary sigh. "He took the chance to sponsor the event, meaning that we can't cancel or dismiss the competition because involving the council makes it seem like we indulged to offer Diana's hand in marriage."

Diana mentally groaned.

"Can't we just cancel it?" Morgan asked. "I mean, we have total and complete control over it."

"Unfortunately, now that it's become a complete sponsored event by the kingdom of Ylisse itself," Lucina grimaced, "as because of Macentos, if we want to keep good face to our people, we can't suddenly cancel it."

Chrom ran a hand over his face. "And why haven't I fired this man?"

"He's an asset," Diana and Robin said together, both with exhausted voices.