Lost In History | 3

I don't own Fire Emblem.

...

Judging from the stories of her appearance in the palace, she seemed to remember the old world. Something only he was supposed to be able to do. He didn't know how that was possible, but he needed to find her, immediately.

She would cause problems for him, and he knew it. He couldn't let his hard work go to waste.

To hell with it. If he was going to have to dive into secret works and organizations to rid of this witch, then he would. After all, in this world, he was the second most powerful man in the world. He would do anything, and could do anything, to find this woman and eliminate her, no matter what.

...

Despite having the book on her lap, wide open and ready to be processed, Odelle had not flipped a page for the last fifteen minutes. Her Lady in Waiting walked around quietly, prepping her room for sleep, but Odelle knew that she would be restless for quite some time.

She couldn't stop thinking about Diana. She remembered the stunned look that Diana had put on when she said her father had the book she had showed her, the insistence that her question remain a secret. It was still a mystery to her. Why would someone act that way?

And what was about that book that made Diana so restless all of a sudden?

When her eyes glazed over the page with one last attempt to get soaked into reading, Odelle shut it with a furrowed brow.

"Milady? Is something wrong?"

Her Lady in Waiting straightened up from the sudden sound. Odelle blinked, and then realized that she had just shut the book louder than she had ought to.

Odelle opened her mouth to explain, and then remembered her promise. "Nothing. I just have a lot on my mind. Don't worry."

She set the book off to the side with a frown.

Her Lady in Waiting hesitated for a moment. "Is it about...the three people I saw leave the book store earlier today?"

Odelle flinched at that. "Wait, you saw them?"

"They walked right out the door. Of course I saw them. They weren't exactly the definition of discreet." Her Lady in Waiting ran a hand through her hair. "Before you ask, I didn't say anything. I just thought it was strange how fast they left, and how you and...Lord Chrom tried to chase after them."

Odelle let out a sigh of relief. She turned her chair around so that it faced her vanity again, so that she began to take out the bands holding her hair back. "That's good. I promised Diana that I wouldn't say a thing, and I convinced Chrom that he wouldn't either. I don't want to cause trouble for the lovely lady. She seemed rather innocent, a contrast to what the palace is painting her as."

If Odelle wasn't looking at her mirror, she would have missed the way her Lady in Waiting had suddenly stiffened for a slight moment. But it was barely for a moment before she resumed her duties.

"...Diana, you say?"

"What's wrong?" Odelle frowned, turning back to her Lady in Waiting. Despite the differences in their statuses, her Lady in Waiting had always been one of her dearest friends. She had come from a fallen noble home as a young child, and the Banes had taken her in to be Odelle's servant. They had practically grown up together.

Her Lady in Waiting shook her head. "Nothing. It's...just weird to have a name to match up to the woman who broke into the palace."

Still, her Lady in Waiting looked annoyed at something, but Odelle couldn't place it on what. Was it the nights of missed sleep that she had to endure to plan her wedding? Odelle never wanted to place so many responsibilities on her Lady in Waiting, but her father had been insistent that she shouldn't bear the weight, and that she had to focus on her own duties as a soon to be Queen.