Needle

Chapter forty four

"Emily?"

I stirred at bit, I don't know what time it is but all I knew is that I'm warm, comfortable and sleepy.

"What's up baby?"

"It hurts"

I shot up feeling less tired and more worried; the feeling of grogginess quickly leaving my head. I turned around and saw Gus curled up in the fetus position with quite tears running down his face. Poor baby, what was going on with him?

"What's wrong Gussie? What's going on?"

"I don't know it just hurts. I can't sleep, my head hurts, I want to throw up and my body hurts"

As I went to help him up when I noticed how much he was shaking; what the hell? Gus wasn't burning up so he wasn't sick and it was clear he wasn't sneezing or coughing. What the fuck was going on?

"Gus, you're trembling"

"What's going on Em?"

"I don't know baby but ima go get your Mamma, she'll know what to do"

I ran out the room and into Liza's room, she was sound asleep but I could see the daze leave her eyes as the sight of my worried face. She shot up, quite similar to how I did, and put her glasses on.

"What's wrong sweetheart?"

"Liza, it's Gus"

"Oh my"

As I dashed back to Gus and I's room, I had Liza hot on my tail with the same worried expression on her face as I did. The second she saw him still curled up in bed crying, Liza crouched down by his side; holding his hand tightly.

"What's wrong Peeper?"

"Everything's hurting Ma"

A lightbulb moment hit me; it would make total sense. I grabbed my phone and didn't hesitate opening up google. As I absorbed the information, I knew what I had to do to make him feel better.

"Liza, we need to get him to the hospital"

"Why what's wrong with him?"

"He's suffering from Xanax withdrawal symptoms"

"Are they seriously that bad?"

I chucked her my phone which she caught with ease as I just about managed to get Gus up; luckily he was wearing sweatpants.

"You can read that article on the way"

Despite Gus' groans of pain and pleads for me to stop, i finally managed to get him in the car. As I made sure he was safe laying down on the back seat, I climbed in the drivers seat with Liza already in the passenger seat.

"You did those pills too Em didn't you?"

"Yeah, I'm not proud of it but yes"

"Then why aren't you getting these symptoms?"

"I didn't do it as regularly and I didn't take as much. I wanted to stay sober as much as possible so I could make sure Gus wouldn't do anything stupid"

"Thank you sweetie, for looking out for him"

"I would talk more but we're gonna be busy very soon"

I swung into the hospital parking lot, being careful to not go to fast incase Gus got hurt. Pulling up to the front of the ER I wasted no time getting him out for the car as best I could. Throwing Gus' arm over my shoulder, I dragged him into the hospital; trying not to hurt him.

"Can I get some help over here?"

Several nurses came running over, one with a bed and one with a doctor.

"What's the situation?"

"White male. Gustav Åhr, 21 years of age suffering with Xanax withdrawals. Symptoms are nausea, muscle pain, headaches and sleep irritability"

"How are you related to the patient?"

"I'm his girlfriend Emily McDan and over there is his mother Liza"

"Okay thank you, Please wait out here the doctor will be out soon"

As I watched Gus getting rolled away, I took a seat next to Liza who was already dozing; I can't believe I only just realised it was 4am. I checked my phone, seeing that I could only wait. After five minutes I started to hear small snores from Liza, poor woman was tired as hell.

"Liza? Liza wake up"

Like being electrocuted, she jolted up looking confused and exhausted.

"What happened?"

"Liza, go home and get some rest. I'll stay with Gus and update you as soon as I hear something"

She softly smiled; patting my shoulder before pulling me into a short but sweet hug.

"Thank you for everything dear"

"Go sleep Liza, you need the energy"

"I'll be back first thing tomorrow"

"Okay, stay safe"

I walked over to the coffee machine, this was going to be a long day.

///////////////////

"Miss?"

I slowly woke up, feeling the sharp paint that alway occurred when I had to sleep in a hospital chair. As I adjusted to my surroundings, I got up to face the doctor in front of me. This better be good news.

"Mr Åhr will be fine, he needs to spend one more day to make sure his vitals are in check though. Oh and you'll need to give him these everyday so he can be taken off Xanax safely"

I took the bottle of special Xanax to help him get off of the dreadful stuff, making sure to put it in my hoodie pocket.

"Alright, can I see him?"

"Mr Åhr is awake and in room E14 on the second floor"

"Thank you Doc, I really appreciate this"

I took the elevator up to the second floor and went to the 14th room, hoping that he wasn't in pain. When I knocked on the door, I saw Gus' eyes light up at the sight of me; mine doing to same at the look of his smiling face.

"Hey Gussie, how you feeling?"

"Better, thanks to you baby"

"I'm not gonna lie, you had me worried"

"I'm sorry that I scared you"

"It's fine babe, it was silly to think it would be so easy for you to come off all those drugs cold turkey"

"Talking of turkey, It's Sunday and Mamma makes a killer roast dinner. Where is she and when can I leave?"

"I told Liza to go home because she was so tired she almost fell asleep standing up. As for leaving, you can't leave until tomorrow"

"Tomorrow? Urgh"

"I'll try to see if I can get you out earlier"

"God I love you"

"And I love you, I'm just glad you're okay"