Lose My Mind

Chapter forty eight

"Emily! Gustav! Over here!"

Trying to smooth my hair and clothes so my mother wouldn't know what happened in the bathroom, I greeted her much more awkwardly than Gus did with Liza. It was so nice to see her though I have to admit, I hope we can get closer one day.

"Hey Ma, how are you?"

"I'm much better knowing that you'll be spending Christmas with Tim, Edward and I"

"We agreed that since...the incident it was a good idea to spend time with family"

"Oh yes you told me about that -"

She turned her attention over to Gus and gave him a light but sincere hug.

"- Peep, I'm glad you're okay"

Much like her hug, his smile was also sincere (and cute) as he pulled her into another hug.

"Thank you Shannon, I really appreciate it"

"Okay kids, we better be off. I know Edward has been dying to see you two again"

"I don't blame him Ma, the last time he saw us together we left in an ambulance"

"You know what Baby? I don't remember that all too well"

"Don't worry Gussie, It doesn't matter now"

///////////////////

"Peep!"

"Sus boy!"

Edward came bounding down the stairs of their house and right into Gus' arms; those two are going to be inseparable. I smiled and took a quick picture of them, Ma standing next to me with the same expression on her face.

"Those too are so cute"

"I know, Edward has been looking forward to this for ages"

"Hey babe, Eddie wants me to play some video games with him"

"Say no more Gus, go have fun; I've got catching up to do"

"See you at dinner baby"

The boys went running upstairs as I was lead into the living room where Ma and I opened a bottle of red wine and turned on the TV for background noise. If you told me two years ago I would one day have a glass of wine with my biological mother in her house, I would laugh in your face. How times have changed huh?

"So, you and Peep are pretty serious?"

"Ma, I can't see me spending the rest of my life with anyone else"

"Does he feel the same way?"

"Totally, for some reason Gus looks at me like I'm the only girl alive"

"Has he proposed yet? You two have been together for a few years"

"We actually don't plan on marrying, it's not our style. We do have promise rings though"

"Not marrying? That's insane darling, when you're with someone you love you marry them"

"I know but that's not what we want, we're still going to spend forever together but we don't want a big white wedding. Can you imagine Gus in a tux?"

"You have a point there"

We laughed for a second, the thought of him dressed smartly making us giggle. What can I say? Gus and I were some scruffy rats but that was how we liked it.

"Okay, I'm going to start preparing the lasagne so why don't you go check on the boys?"

"Okay Ma"