Toxic City

Chapter fifty nine

The second I arrived in the alley I saw her standing there with a cigarette between her lips. Despite the light rain her silk outfit looked untouched as did her makeup and heels; she acted like she owned the place.

"What do you want Layla?"

"I want to talk"

"Then talk"

"I still love you Peep, I can't get over you no matter how many blunts I smoke or guys I sleep with"

"Oh so nothing's changed then? Because as I remember you fucked a load of guys even when we were still together"

"It was a mistake Peep! Even though it was only one guy I still said I was sorry for fuck sake"

"Yeah well back then 'sorry' didn't fix my broken heart, wanna know what did?"

"What?"

"Emily, my best friend at the time was there for me instead of saying that I should 'be a man' like you did every time I broke down or had a panic attack. She fixed me and now that I have her, I couldn't be happier"

"Stop talking like our entire relationship was horrible! What we had was amazing and nothing like ever before; she can't even come close to what we were"

"Come close? She saved my life, been there for me when you wouldn't have been and understood but most importantly helped me. The most you've ever done for me is learn a few new positions"

I hadn't noticed the woman in front of me had started to cry.

"Now you're just being a dick, you know how I feel but you have to be so cruel! What happened to the Peep I knew?"

"The Peep you knew was a self destructive, drug addicted piece of crap who wanted to die. With Emily, I actually want to make it past the age of 25"

When she didn't say anything I opened the door behind me as I took her cigarette, breathed in the smoke and threw it in a puddle. Time to make my leave.

"I enjoyed this though, you broke my heart and now I got to break yours"

Trying not to draw attention to my tears, I hadn't noticed Em had been standing there the entire time...probably before I had even opened the door. I unexpectedly almost crashed into her but managed to stop dead right in front of her.

"Em............."

Instead of responding, she pulled me into one of her rehabilitation like hugs as I cried onto her shoulder. The height difference made it hard but it didn't matter, she didn't ask anything but just held me cause she knew I needed it. Layla would've just told me to get a grip and walked off to smoke or something. Comparing an ex with your current partner is wrong I know but it made me realise how appreciative I was of Em.

"Come on Gussie, let's go sit in our booth and order food; burgers make everything better"

How was it that this girl always knew what I was feeling and what to do to make it alright again? It was like she was magic or a mind reader, it made me love her more if that was even possible.

She took my hand but gripped it in a way that gave me goosebumps and butterflies in my stomach; this is what love feels like.

/////////////////////

*Em's POV*

"What can I get you two?"

"Our usuals please Marco"

"Anything for my favourite couple"

Sliding into the much missed Scooby Doo booth, I didn't hesitate to take Gus' hand in mine again as he immediately pulled out his phone. If he thought he could avoid this conversation, he was very wrong.

"We both know that I heard everything so you can either fill me in on the details or I can just assume"

He sighed but put down his slightly smashed phone and sat up straight.

"Layla wanted to talk, she said that she's still in love with me"

"Oh, what did you say?"

"That I'm in complete and utter love with you, happy, not as suicidal and sober. I said that I didn't need her or missed her and that I was glad I got the chance to break her heart like she broke mine"

"You roasted her good"

Instead of getting sappy like we usually do, we high fived as our food and drinks arrived. I'm so fucking hungry I could eat around 100 of these burgers.

"Where'd your dad go?"

"He went.........I don't know"

"Maybe He's in the restroom?"

"I don't think he'd be in the restroom for an hour"

My phone buzzed next to me and I could feel myself relax at the message.

Daddo💜
Sorry I left so suddenly but I'm on my way with a very special someone who really wants to meet you

"It's okay, someone wants to meet me so he went to pick them up"

"Ooooooo what if it's his lover?"

"Shut up Gus as if!"

Gus and I dived into our food without another word, savouring every taste we experienced; UNO's food is some 5 star shit. We were almost done eating when Gus stopped chewing and jaw hit the floor....what had he seen?

"What's wrong?"

"For the love of god don't turn around"

If someone tells you not to turn around........you turn around; boy I wished hadn't.

"Emily, Gus, this is my girlfriend"

Attached to his arm like a fucking leech was the bleach blonde hoe I saw all the way back in April.

Avery.

—————————-
For those who forgot, Avery is the bitch who Em locked in the dumpster (throwback) :)