Like A Bat Outta Hell

Have you ever seen the sun in its most bright and yellow glow? Like it's golden rays are shining down just to say hello? And how those white fluffy clouds are gently gathered around? No sign of darkness or chance of rain... Only clear blue happy skies. Have you ever heard on a day like that, just how those sweet birds sing and the cooling of the wind hums, swaying in the trees? A perfect day... doesn't it seem?

Well what seemed like a quiet and calm and oh so beautiful, glorious afternoon, was anything but...

"I'm gonna yank those scraggly naps right outta yo hair... You old bag you!!!"

An angry bellowing voice roared shaking the glass on the old cabin house, that sat just at the end of the street. That hissy voice roared almost as if it were a volcano erupted!

Another voice is suddenly heard screaming bloody murder running from that same old cabin. It was in a so loud high pitched scream, that all the stray cats hissed and jumped in Mrs. Mavis, the nearby neighbor's, blossoming pear trees... hunched, spooked and meowing to the echoes of those same screams!

All of a sudden with a loud clamor, that old wooden cabin screen door slams open...

You can see a young, hissy, soft peach like face, with long black curls, jolting out... like that famous sayin 'A bat outta hell...'

She had the fierce expression as if she were ready for a battle! She looked to be no more than fifteen... But before she could even reach the last step on that old cabin porch.... a car door slams...

"Maple? Maple Woods!" A delicate yet stern voice is suddenly heard calling out in the background.

Young Miss Maple Woods, suddenly comes to a screeching halt, when she hears that voice! For it is the voice of her mother!

Right in her elegant attire and standing on her driveway... Mama Woods, was an elegant refined woman, that always stood in the most accomplished way. Though, she wasn't the richest or most refined, she was indeed the most beautiful and respected woman in Ponchas. And in that particular moment she gave what Maple Woods had very rarely ever seen... A reprimanding stare...

"Maple Woods! Young lady... Whut on earth child?"

"Naw Mumma..."

"Do you wan to explain yo self?"

"Oh naw cmon Mumma! This here ain't whut it looks like! Ya see I didn't do anythang... but..."

"You didn't do anythang?"

"Uh no ma'am!" Maple said lifting her head high.

"Emm hmm..." Maple's mama said raising one brow. "If you didn't do anythang, then explain to me why you are holding a red velvet cake piece of what looks like to me, Mrs. Crowder's fancy hat... And what appears to be a dead animal in the other! What exactly is that shuga?" Her mama said with a disturbed grimaced expression. "Well...?" Her mama said waiting for an answer...

Right then and there, Maple Woods, always rosy cheeks, were now overshadowed by her entire crimsoned face as she hid, Mrs. Crowder's hat and what her mama felt was a dead rodent behind her shivering back.

"Explain yo self right naw young lady!" Mama woods demanded.

There comes a time when everyone now and then has lost it a time or two. And today, on that not so quiet day in Ponchas Avenue Row... was indeed young Miss Maple Woods day to lose all her inhibitions and self control... Or so she believed!