Thirteen

All I could hear was machines beeping around me as I flickered my eyes open ... my hand warm I look down Leyton was holding it tight asleep on the chair.
Flashbacks of the night cane flooding back. My heart started pounding ...
I flinched which startled Leyton "April?"
"I ... can't ... breath" he saw me sweating and instantly took my hands and looked in my eyes .. "look at me! And breath ..."

"Ms Rhodes?" A doctor asked as he came into the room. "This is she" the doctor looked towards Leyton direction.
"Ms Rhodes you've suffered internal injuries ... we've stabilised the bleed for now ... we would like to keep you in for observation for now"
I shook my head. "No .. I want to go home, please! I can't stay here ... I'm not safe" Leyton squeezes my hand as he could sense my panic.

"Please discharge Ms Rhodes ... medication will suffice we can arrange doctor visits every day at home .." he took control.
He left the room with the doctor. How could this happen to me? What did I do to deserve such hatred and hurt?

We arrived back at the apartment. Leyton had called Maggie and told her everything .. I wasn't ready to talk yet she understood I knew she would be waiting for me when I was ready.

He took me to my room and laid me down on the bed.
"Thanks ... for everything ..." I whispered. "If you need anything let me know ... I've told the police to hold off for a couple days but they will want to speak to you" he says softly. I nod in agreement and wait until he leaves the room before I just let the tears fall into my pillow.

It's 1am ... I haven't stopped crying. My eyes are so sore my body aches ... I'm exhausted. "April?" My door is open slightly "Leyton?" He walks in and crouches beside my bed resting his hand upon my head. "I couldn't leave you crying .. I've heard you for the last hour .."
"I feel so stupid! How could I let this happen ... why me!!"