~~~~SEVENTEEN~~~~

"I was just taking a walk as usual mom." I replied to her.

"We need to talk." She said to me as she carefully studied me and then stepped aside to let me walk through the door into the house.

I simply walked in and the sooner I was entirely inside, she shut the door and then followed me.

"Let us sit at the dining table." She said and I simply obeyed and stopped, taking a seat on the side as she sat on the opposite side facing me.

There was a silence that settled between the both of us and I could not anticipate her saying any words to me.

"What is it you wanted to talk to me about mother?" I asked her.

"We need to talk about you." She replied.

"My grades are fair, I got an average of 90.4 and I was the sixth in my stream." I said.

"And we both know that is not your potential kid, I do not expect you to become stupid, I want you in the top position, and that is with an average greater than 95.

"It was not that easy mother." I said to her.

"Do not tell me that, I pay all the full fees, I followed up your class statistics and you were eighteenth in the whole year with the first one holding an average of 99.6% " she said.

"Fine then, I will work harder." I said to her.

I always felt very inadequate with the academic talk, my mother always made it clear that she was never the person to appreciate every effort I put in.

All my life before I had worked to please her but it was all entirely in vain and she always reprimanded me for that one mark that never got me at the top.

She made me read some subjects as an obligation and I always hated the look that she gave me that made me feel I was still inadequate in her eyes.

"So, is that it?" I asked her.

"Of course not, not even the gist of the conversation in the very first place by the way." She replied.

"I have done nothing wrong." I said.

"No one said you did anything wrong but we need to talk about you now." She said.

"I am perfectly fine mom." I said.

"You are not boy, I may be old but I was once your age and I have noticed that you never indulge in any family activities." She said.

"Nothing the others do is fun for me mother." I said.

"Oh really, you used to watch television with everyone else when you were young, you used to play out in the sun, what happened?" She asked me.

"Well, maybe I nolonger do what I used to, except stay locked up in my room reading hard to get the top score." I said.

"I consulted with your teachers and they told me you are reserved yet I know that you even play lawn tennis and you are a part of your school's junior tennis club yet you seldom do any of that with the family." She said.

"Simply because I am busy mother." I said.

I guess growing up with the pain of not being noticed, abused and made fun of by my family gave me every reason to distance myself away from all of them.

She pulled out her phone and scrolling through some things she came to stop at something.

"I would wish to see you explain this to me right here and right now." She said as she handed the phone over to me.