~~~~TWENTY SEVEN~~~~

The pain was excruciating but there was no one in the whole house to run to.

The sight of my own blood made me feel disgusted, awful and hopeless.

There was nothing for me to do, this was what I went through most of the time but no one got to know.

Katie on the other hand was aware of the kind of life I lived, aware of the dangers I faced and the things I tolerated.

I had a meeting with Arthur the next day and I constantly convinced myself that some time away from this house is all I needed.

I understood that it was perhaps for  our own good that I would have to do that.

After I had cleaned myself and showered, I went to the mirror and I looked at myself.

At first, I had not noticed the bruise on my left cheek that came up closer to my eye.

It was going to be very difficult for me to face Arthur looking like that because to begin with I did not want him to worry so much about me.

On the other hand, I was tired of innocently lying to one of the only real friends I have.

I knew that if he noticed it, he would not stop asking until he had an answer.

"What to do?" I wondered as I moved towards my bed in my towel and fell down on it.

"But he understands everything that happens to me so if I tell him, he will know and there will be nothing for him to do about it so he will let it go.

That way, I will not have to worry about whatever he will do because I will have spoken the sincere truth." I said to myself.

I was not in the mood of facing the rest of the day, it had started pretty well but climaxed by a series of unfortunate events.

I was tired of the turmoil I always got into during every day's end and I prayed for the strength to meet the very next day.

Sometimes, I felt that if a day went by, it was easier for me to feel more at peace with myself because only the bad memories were left behind and the good ones went along with me.

I simply closed my eyes and condensed the pain knowing that at least that day would be over and the next would be a brand new one of happiness.

In respect of everything there was that distinguished me from the rest of the family, the violence always forced me to go further apart from them.

I only wanted to dream of the veey next day, the time that I would face my destiny and the day that I would be free.

It felt so sweet and long, by the time I awoke, it was already 7:12am.

I got out of bed and I had enough time to get ready so I decided to take a shower and once I was done, I turned to my usual household chores.

When I had concluded them, I returned to my room feeling exhausted and it was then that I decided to choose what to wear.

I picked from my closet a purple longsleeved polo shirt and a pair of black tight jeans.

I cleaned my pair of black rock sneakers and I carried my sling bag with the same contents from the previous day.

Once it clocked 9:50am, I stepped out of the house and waited at the end of my street.

I wore a hoodie that I had intended to use to veil my injured face from Arthur.

I waited until it was twelve minutes past ten and there was no sign of Arthur anywhere.

I studied the entire place trying to see if I could make out Arthur but all I saw were ordinary children playing about the area.