Chapter 85 ~rather be ~

A few days had gone by and he had barely spoken to me. It had only been a stupid joke... Why did I say that?! I truly was an idiot. Since he hadn't been sleeping in his bed the first two nights I had moved back to my chambers so at least Severus got some sleep. I really had a guilty conscious and even Minerva had asked me several times what was going on showing a great deal she cared about the d.a.d.a. professor and yes I told her about it.
"I believe it brought up bad memories... I talked to Albus's portrait a lot lately and he told me about Severus father... There are a lot of horrible things I got to know. Give him time. " Minerva explained and I nodded.
"This will be a lot of work..."
I mumbled as the headmistress reassuringly squeezed my hand.
"You can do it, (Y/n). I never saw him happy but with you, " she told me.
We said our goodbyes and went downstairs into the dungeons knocking on his door.
"Yes?" his deep voice filled the hall as he opened the door.
"(Y/n)? What do you want?" It was harsh and yes that hurt me.
"Severus, we need to talk, " I gave back firmly but with a soft undertone.
"I'm busy, " was all I got back as he almost threw the door shut but I had my foot in it already. A stinging pain immediately took over me as a loud crack filled the corridor. I bit my lip making a little cocked up sound. As he realized what had just happened his features turned softer now guilt and sorrow in his eyes.
"I'm so sorry... "
"It's... It's okay... I'll ask Poppy to fix it... I just wanted to apologize for making this stupid joke. I don't need children and we don't have to talk about it... But I don't know if you consider us a couple anymore anyway... So it's all good. " I explained why I was there through gritted teeth.
"You can't walk up to Poppy like this. That sounded very much like I broke a bone... " he gave back in shock.
"It's fine... I can handle it."
I pulled my foot back what probably wasn't the best idea since now I had to keep myself from loudly hissing.
"No, let me help you "
With an elegant movement, he picked me up and began to head upstairs.
"I can do it myself... The students will- "
"I couldn't care less about the opinion of the students, " he gave back as he walked through the corridors the students all around us began to mumble and point but soon enough got shut down by his death stare.
I laid my head against his chest the pain in my foot was bad but the fact that I could do this again made it better.
We reached the hospital wing and Poppy took care of my fractured bones and even tho I was perfectly able to walk again the potions master insisted on carrying me back downstairs and onto his couch where he sat me down.
"Of course I still consider us a couple... I just wasn't sure if you did after you moved out again... " he mumbled sitting down next to me.
"I love you! I just left because I wanted you to sleep again... "
"It was childish that I didn't sleep next to you anymore... I was just scared, " now he was sounding all choky and I saw a wet shimmer in his eyes.
"You don't have to tell me about it, " I said taking his hand.
"But you may. I want to understand and support you. It really just was a bad joke. I got you, we don't need to have kids. "
"But I don't want you to be unhappy... I want you to have the family you wanted... With... Someone less complicated than me... Someone who can give you what you want, " mid-sentence his eyes closed the pain he experienced saying those words clearly audible in his trembling voice.
"Hey, listen, " I softly gave back now wrapping both of my hands around his.
"All I wanted was this you and me together on a sofa until the end of time. I didn't make any other plans and this makes me so incredibly happy that I couldn't wish for more, "
I explained very calmly and his slightly teary eyes opened again.
"Are you sure about that? I don't want to ruin another life... Especially not the life of the woman I love... "
His low baritone vibrated through the room and I melted at how sweet this was.
"I am more than a hundred per cent sure, " I gave back as his free hand reached up to my cheek to hold it and place a gentle kiss on my lips.
"I just didn't have a good role model... I mean you already know my family situation wasn't the greatest... I just don't want to be like my father... "
I kept eye contact and squeezed his hand.
"You could never be like him and if you are scared of that and that is why you won't have children with me that is more than fine for me, " I explained making the last bit of pressure and anxiety drop off him, which ended in him pulling me onto his lap.
"Thank you for being this way and staying with the grouchy old dungeons bat, " he mumbled into my hair now holding me in a tight hug.
"There is no place I would rather be. "

A/N: I'm sorry for being such a horrible person. I hope all of you are well... 🥺🖤